Reload this Page >

Storage 35mm film for future use.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Livingston

My trip to Italy September 12 was cancelled due to the terrorist attack of September 11. I had purchase 15 rolls of 35 mm film to take pictures, but now it will take almost a year at home to shoot that many rolls. I understand film can stored in the refrigerator for long periods of time. How long will it keep, and how should they be packaged such as in the original plastic tube containers and sealed in plastic lunch bags to keep motisture out? Someone said once refrigerated should not let get room tempearture and then chilled again. Some help please on proper storage of 35 mm film up to a year.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Andy

Livingston--You can keep film in the fridge in sealed boxes inside plastic zip locks up until the time of expiration..Keep them in the original plastic tubes ,in the original boxes, and put these into a ziplock bag...just don't let them come to room temp.until you are going to use them--not good to go hot,cold,hot--you could get moisture build-up---

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:26 PM
dan woodlief

If this is not professional film, which would have been refrigerated when you bought it, you can just keep it on the shelf and use before the expiration date. It wouldn't hurt though to put it in the fridge. Just think how I feel. I just ordered about 80 rolls today. Sure Christmas is coming, and my daughter's birthday is in March, but if I cancel my Italy trip I am going to have a hard time shooting up that film.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Linda

Dan, you better take that trip or your family is going to get paranoid with all the photos you'll be taking of them. The only way to use it up will to be to catch them coming out of the bathroom, etc., becaues they sure aren't going to pose for that many pics. Another reason to make sure you take that trip to Italy.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:44 AM
dan woodlief

Right you are Linda. Lately, my photography around home has dropped off significantly (just too little time), so I do need to travel. I have a backup plan. 1-2 weeks traveling by car. Maybe back to Charleston, then Savannah, and other parts of Georgia (haven't been to Georgia in a long long time). Also considering farther destinations up north or in the direction of New Orleans. Or I may just save my money for a May Italy trip and take my daughter to the beach. <BR> <BR>This is all besides the expensive wide angle lens I ordered last night, which may be harder to justify to my wife (once she sees the price tag) if we don't go. Decisions, decisions. <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 06:42 AM
Joane

The problem with letting film warm up to room temp and then chilling it again is that it is repeatedly exposed to condensation. Keep the film in sealed baggies, squeeze out as much air as you can, and let it warm up to room temp before opening the baggie.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 08:39 AM
Linda

Dan, just take the trip. Then you won't have to justify anything and may save your marriage in the bargain.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 10:14 AM
PamR

This will probably sound strange: But I keep unused film as originally packed inside of thick zip-lock freezer bags IN THE FREEZER. Been shooting photos 25 years and never had any problem with that. It was a "trick" recommended to me by old photo geezers. I have also kept the film for years beyond the expiration date. This would NOT work with pro film, but works fine for standard film.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 10:18 AM
Gretchen

Non-professional film is designed to be kept at room temp until the expiration date. No need to do anything to it. And it is usually good past the expiration date.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 01:24 PM
hello

Hey, Liv, <BR>the trip cancelled, not rescheduled? Oh, well, it's not why I'm writing. Did the manufacturer put his name and maybe even 800 number to call? Did you try to find his website and ask them how long you can keep the film? By the number on the bottom of the roll they will be able to tell it.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 03:30 PM
mike

Livingston, do not take the film out of the original containers. Keep in the fidge. If it is not pro film it will keep till its' expiration date (and actually silightly beyond). M.