Stopover when doing Norway in a Nutshell

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2023, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, does anyone have recommendations for a place to stop over for a day when doing Norway in a Nutshell from Oslo to Bergen? We will not have a car. I was initially thinking of spending an extra day in Flamm to hike or kayak, but it seems like it may be very touristy with all the cruise ships (though I found one day when they're not there in September). I'm looking for recommendations for another place to stay overnight where we could hike or kayak, and then rejoin NIN the next day for the fjord cruise to Gudvangen and on to Voss and Bergen.

Last edited by sgkatcher; Apr 12th, 2023 at 07:55 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by sgkatcher
Hi, does anyone have recommendations for a place to stop over for a day when doing Norway in a Nutshell from Oslo to Bergen? We will not have a car. I was initially thinking of spending an extra day in Flamm to hike or kayak, but it seems like it may be very touristy with all the cruise ships (though I found one day when they're not there in September). I'm looking for recommendations for another place to stay overnight where we could hike or kayak, and then rejoin NIN the next day for the fjord cruise to Gudvangen and on to Voss and Bergen.
You can take a ferry to eg Undredal. One of those towns with Stavskirke, a 7-11 and a petrol station. It has a few small places for lodging and a campsite and a few guesthouses, so you would need to seriously book ahead, but it is off the beaten Flåm track. After your stay, you could take the ferry to Gudvangen en travel on from there. It's very beautiful there imo and the fjord is spectacular. When you take ferries, you sail the entire length of the Naerøyfjord. Undredal has a limited bus service, but Gudvangen has buses to Voss and to Bergen.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 10:05 AM

Flåm itself isn't bad when the cruiseships have left though. Lots of Norwegians go there to do bit of mountain biking or kayaking. If you go into Flåm (it's very small) there is the small bay (Viki) with a few lovely guesthouses along Vikjavegen. The Marina has guesthouses and there's the more than wonderful floating Fjordsauna, with great views. And you can still take the Aurland ferry next morning and sail two stunning fjords.

The hytter at Fredheim's are lovely: https://www.fretheimhytter.com/
Fjordsauna: https://www.fjordsauna.com/
Marina apartments: https://www.flammarina.no/

Heimly pensionat is also good, but expensive, but that's Norway.

You'll be about here: https://goo.gl/maps/AtNrumnh7HgMwApn6

Forgot to mention that from the Marina there's a great hiking trail to the Lunden stop on the Flåmsbana. Or you could take the train as far as Lunden and then hike down

Last edited by menachem; Apr 15th, 2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh thanks so much for this suggestion! I was leaning towards staying in Flåm anyway since we won't have a car and I know there are places to get food there. And I found this great web site where you can check the dates when cruises will be there so I found a few days open.

And thanks for the rest of the information - very much appreciated!

Susan