Stonehenge, White Cliffs and Brighton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to the UK in a week and I am staying at Ashdown Forest for part of the trip. I will have my 9 yr old with me. I am planning to hire a car and do 2 day trips - one to Stonehenge/White cliffs and one to Brighton. Does this seem to make sense?
Is it the best idea to get to Stonehenge very, very early in the morning and then continue to the White Cliffs?
All input/suggestions welcome!
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, it seems "Ambitious". Ashdown Forest to Stonehenge is 115 miles and around 2 and a quarter hours.

Stonehenge to Dover is another 155 miles (two and three quarter hours) and the return from Dover to Ashdown forest is another 90 miles and an hour and a half.

So 6.5 hours driving, much of it on the M25, M3, M20 and A303 - some of the busiest roads in Britain.

Frankly, I would choose one or the other.
If you do Stonehenge, you could combine it with Salisbury.
Dover Castle is one of the best in Britain, there is plenty to keep you occupied for a day, and you get to see the white Cliffs from half way up them (There is an undergroud hospital dating back to WWII and one some of the passages open out onto the cliffs)
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 12:34 PM

They're in completely different directions if you're starting from Ashdown.

How long are you there altogether?
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>one to Stonehenge/White cliffs and one to Brighton. Does this seem to make sense? <<

Absolutely not. Do you have a map? Look it over -- assuming you mean the White Cliffs of Dover, the Ashdown Forest > Stonehenge > Dover > Ashdown is easily a 7 to 8 hour drive without a single stop (unless you drive it a 4 AM).

To just Salisbury/Stonehenge and back will require about 5 hours car time.

Brighton is a little better but even just the Ashdown Forest to Brighton and back is about 4 hours in the car.

Sorry, the Ashdown Forest is a lovely area of the Weald and there are some terrific views and lots of good walking, but it is not the greatest base for Stonehenge, the south coast, or Dover. Have you pre-paid for your accommodations? Unless your daughter is a HUGE Winnie the Pooh fan, you might want to reconsider.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

This is great feedback - exactly why I come here for advice. I do have a map, but I'm not familiar with the traffic patterns or conditions. So, I guess I was super ambitious. I was building in a day for rest before London - but sounds like it would be best to do one per day (if that). We are attending a wedding at Ashdown Park Hotel and have accommodations there. So 5 days total - one for rest post-travel over, one for wedding, one for Brighton, one for Stonehenge, one for Dover? Then up to London for a visit with friends for 2 days and off back home. More reasonable?
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 02:08 PM

Brighton would be fine

I misspoke on the earlier post -- To Brighton and back would only be about a 2 hour drive. (For some reason I doubled it). With a minimum 5 hours for the town/Pavilion/on the beach - so about a 7 hour very doable day.

But the other two would be tough.

From the Hotel to Salisbury and Stonehenge and back is 5 hours butts in seats. So easily a 10 hour day, longer if you stop for dinner.

To Dover -- and visiting the castle (a must IMO) plus the white cliffs would be another very long day -- at least 5 hours in the car but easily 7 hours if you hit traffic. The castle fills 4 hours without seeing everything. Another hour or two for the cliffs.

Would be tough back to back to back . . .

The hotel is a lovely venue for a wedding BTW . . .
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Arrrgh - traffic, my nemesis. Ok. It might be back to the drawing board for a bit. It sounds like Dover Castle and the Cliffs trump Stonehenge? Or, do we sacrifice Brighton? Any substitute ideas? I was married to these ideas originally, but I do trust this board's suggestions. Thank you for your generosity!
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AA route finder gives Ashdown Park Hotel to Dover as 87 miles, 1:46 driving time - so not quite as bad as janisj's estimate providing the traffic is normal.

Similarly, to Stonehenge would be 110 miles and 2:20

I like both, but I would suggest Dover Castle (I have never understood the reaction, but many visitors find Stonehenge Underwhelming)

I'm not familiar enough with Brighton to rank it alongside the other two.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 06:03 AM

>>1:46 driving time - so not quite as bad as janisj's estimate providing the traffic is normal. <<

The problem is 'normal' traffic on those particular roads is often HORRIBLE.
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 06:05 AM

To account for traffic and 'stuff'', typically one needs to add 25% to 50%+ to AA's drive times (and AA's are probably the best. googlemaps is hopeless)
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 12:27 PM

Ashdown Forest, Bodiam Castle and Brighton.

Sorted
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 01:13 PM

>>Ashdown Forest, Bodiam Castle and Brighton.<<

Bingo . . .
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - anything worth seeing in Royal Tunbridge Wells? Very quick glance says maybe not, but open for opinion if you guys are still willing.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 05:18 AM

Pretty town -- nice shopping and some good places to eat. Not really a kid-centric sort of place but would be good for doing a late lunch an afternoon tea after going to Bodiam.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 06:22 AM
ESW

"anything worth seeing in Royal Tunbridge Wells?"

Not really and the Pantiles which is where all the visitors head can be done in 15 minutes.....
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:29 PM

oops -- that should say >>doing a late lunch OR an afternoon tea after going to Bodiam.<<
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 02:09 PM

I really enjoyed Royal Tunbridge Wells - could be a nice stop for a pub lunch - OK for kids - and a walk around. See the original water source - still can drink -that once attracted the rich and famous here about a century or two ago.

Don't mix up and go to Tonbridge, an ordinary town with a famous prep school.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 02:40 PM

I'm not familiar enough with Brighton to rank it alongside the other two.>

Brighton as a sightseeing town is a one sight town- the famous Royal whatever it is - a unique edifice but a 9 yr-old could get a hoot out of the seafront and pier attractions- have some Brighton 'rock'(candy typical to every British seaside resort) - but this could be just a few hours.