Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stonehenge 8 am tour and Heathrow 4pm flight same day too crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only day during our trip I can get an English Heritage inner circle tour of Stonehenge happens to be the day we depart Heathrow back to the US! It's no problem going out the day before, and it seems if we catch an 11-11:30am train to Heathrow we can be there by 2pm (in time for international checkin.) But I'd just like a reality check! I'd really like to do the circle access tour and British trains have a terrific on-time reputation, but....anyone with experience with tight connections (no silliness please) like this care to comment? BTW it happens to be a Friday if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 05:52 AM

There's no train to Heathrow from Salisbury.

An 1100 train from Salisbury would get to Feltham around 1300, but that won't get you to a checkin desk much before 1330. Even if the trains are on time. Which you're more optimistic about than those of relying on them routinely

I've no idea what time your tour is. But I'd suggest a prebooked car from Stonehenge to LHR (allow 120 mins, but you should do it in under 90) is the only reliable option.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>and British trains have a terrific on-time reputation</i>"

Not so much.

"<i>But I'd suggest a prebooked car from Stonehenge to LHR</i>"

Good idea, but maybe even better . . . rent a car the day before (pick it up at LHR), hit Windsor first since it is only 7 miles from the LHR car rentals, drive on to Salisbury, stay the night, do the AM Inner Access, explore more on the way back to LHR (Avebury, etc.), drop the car and check in for your flight.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM

I agree - don't rely on public transport that isn't even getting you directly to the airport. Rent a car or a driver, and be safe!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the rapid responses!

I prefer not to drive left handed (did it in Australia but much less traffic in Cairns than UK) Plus I would be stressed out trying to drive and make the flight, and would have to allow time to turn in the car at Heathrow and get shuttles to terminals etc.

National Rail sells tickets from Salisbury through to Heathrow, with about 2.5 hours time, doesn't show when/where there is a change of trains but it seems it is feasible.

Wouldn't a hired car from Stonehenge to Heathrow be insanely expensive?
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

PS son has not interest in Windsor castle and I've seen it.

Any suggestions on hired car services?
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:24 AM

There arent any direct trains from Salisbury to Heathrow. When I look it up on national rail I see a train from Salisbury to Woking, and then a bus from Woking to Heathrow Central Bus station. This would work as well - it looks like it will take 2ish hours - assuming they are all running on time. Cost is £31.40 per person.

Why would a car hire be insanely expensive? Its probably (just guessing) about £70ish - which isnt that much more than the train for 2.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Google yields hire car companies charging between 100-200 pounds. I will try to find best option since it seems to be the easiest and surest way. And really same cost as doing regular day trip tour of Stonehenge and Salisbury, returning to London, and getting transfer to Heathrow some other day.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not hearing anyone say it is impossible (as long as not relying on bus/train to be on time)
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

PS jamikins, if you know of a hire car service that can do take us Stonehenge to Heathrow for 70 pounds please let me know!
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 07:00 AM

When I do a search on www.autoeurope.com for one day rental (pick up noon on Thurs in Salisbury city office, drop at Heathrow Fri noon) I show cars for $68...

I am not familiar with car services out in Salisbury unfortunately...
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mdieri: are you searching for car services/cabs out of Salisbury?

I have no idea how much these will charge to LHR but worth contacting

http://www.tourstonehenge.com/index.php
http://www.salisbury-valuecars.co.uk/
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 09:14 AM

http://www.windsordaytours.co.uk/index.html
you could try contacting this company,
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM

I used www.vicstaxi.com on a private all day tour when I was there, cost a total of £100 for the day to take us around Stonehenge, Avebury, West Kennet Longbarrow, Salisbury. They may or may not be able to get you to and from London, but they surely know someone who can.