Reload this Page >

stone circles, standing stones, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Artemis

Any recommendations for the best ones to see in Britain? Apart from the obvious, Stonehenge (which I'm not too keen on anyway because of all the restrictions) <BR> <BR>The regions we're most likely to be in are Inverness, Skye, Glasgow, Northumberland, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Oxforshire, and possibly Devon and Cornwall. We'll probably be driving so off the beaten track is fine.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:20 PM
John

Kilmartin in Argyll (near Lochgilphead) is a buffet of megalith and prehistoric bits and pieces - standing stones, burial cairns, circles, etc., plus a couple of dandy carved crosses in the churchyard across from the hotel. Stand in the churchyard looking out over the valley and contemplate that people have been standing where you are and busy around here for eons. Plus, the area around Kilmartin is beautiful and relatively undiscovered and unspoilt. Worth a serious detour IMO. <BR>Don't take just my word for it, look at http://scottishculture.about.com/abo...tkilmartin.htm

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Thyra

I was most impressed by the stone circles in Cornwall. In fact I was very impressed by all of the Iron and Bronze age excavations all over Cornwall. A nice supply of dolmans and barrows as well. If you do go to say, Penzance or St. Ives, you can pick up little walking guides that give you trails you can take between sights (provided the current foot and mouth situation is not still going). I was particularly impressed by the 12 Maidens which is a nice ring of stones,just standing in some field in Cornwall, (they were supposedly maids who danced on the Sabbath and were turned to stone). They have an entire, I believe, Iron age settlement that is currently undergoing excavations near Lands End, and if you have even the remotest interest in the Arthurian Cycle, it's fun to visit Tintangel castle.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:36 PM
sandy

Don't count on seeing any stone circles if the foot and mouth disease problem is not solved by the time you go. whe were just there, and I promise you that you will not be allowed to visit any sites that require you to walk through the fields (and most cirlces are in the fields), especially in the areas of Devon and Cormwall, where the disease is still raging. Almost all the public foothpaths in the infected areas are closed. So far, Scotland does not have any foot and mouth, but be sure to check before you go too far out of your way. A good web site for this is: www.visitbritain.com.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 02:13 AM
frank

Scotland: <BR>Kilmartin,as John says , is worth a visit, an hour from Glasgow towards Oban on the West coast road.It also has Dunadd, the ancient fort where the kings of Dalriada were crowned, you can put your foot in the carved rock with the boar & serpent as they did.(Actually I think the real rock has been replaced with a resin one but it looks the same.)The sites is just west of the main road a mile north of Cairnbaan.Crinan is worth a visit for lunch. <BR>If going to Skye, visit Glenelg on the mainland coast first, well preserved Brochs there.(3000BC) <BR>The best area for monuments is reputedly the Orkney Islands. http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/skarabrae/ has some of them. <BR>The most spectacular area I have seen is on the Isle of Lewis, around the Callinish stones.This was evidently a very important place, you have complete access unlike stonehenge, dont use the official tearoom use the one beside the carpark.There are many circles in the surrounding countryside & a very impressive Broch (Dun Carloway) a couple of miles North. <BR>England:If near Stonehenge visit Avebury, much bigger circle plus full access.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 03:34 AM
Effie

I agree, the Kilmartin area is great, but if you can, you should certainly go to Orkney - just chock full of megalithic tombs and monuments. Here are a couple of websites that might help: <BR> <BR>Megalithic pages http://www.lessing4.de/megaliths/start.htm <BR> <BR>Stone Circle Webring http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~aburnham/ring/

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 03:37 AM
leo

I second Avesbury. It is very large prehistoric construction which I believe is slightly older than Stonhenge. There are many stones (but many more are missing), a large earthenwork moat, and an avenue flanked by upright stones that leads into the site. The size is amazing when you think the chalk bedrock was carved with antler tools. It is best appreciated with an aerial view postcard which shows two Stonehenge-size stone circles, and an entire little village within the enormous structure. In the area there is also several famous barrows and other prehistoric constructions. In Avesbury, there is a small museum, and a nice resturant on the grounds of Avesbury manor (another attraction). On the main road into the are there is also a prehistoric "white horse" carved in the nearby chalk uplands. All in all it make a nice day excursion. <BR> <BR>Castle Craig in the Lakes is also quite awsome in a different more spiritual way. Looking up into the mountains from that barren plain is very moving.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:46 AM
David White

My favorite place in the UK is the Castlerigg stone circle in Cumbria (Lake District). This circle sits on a ridge, surrounded on all sides by the Cumbrian mountains. The setting is very dramatic. <BR> <BR>Sadly, the entire Lake District National Park is essentially closed for now...and that includes Castlerigg. <BR> <BR>David White <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 07:08 AM
steve

I would certainly visit Stonehenge and then go to Avebury which is similar in that it is a stone circle, but totally different in scale. If it is possible, I would also visit the nearby West Kennet Passage grave (probably won't be since you have to walk about 1/2 - 3/4 mile thru a farmer's field)

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Sheila

Best stone circles (ignoring geographic references) include Callanish on Lewis, the Ring of Brogar on Orkney, Loanhead of Daviot in Aberdeenshire and Kilmartin aforementioned. You might like to have a look at www.megalith.ukf.net

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:09 AM
Nancy

Can anyone recommend a tour for Stonehenge & Avebury. I am very interested the megaliths & will only have time for these two.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 09:34 AM
neolithic man

One of my favorite sites on the whole web is www.stonepages.com. It's a labor of love from an Italian couple whose hobby is visiting stone circles, dolmens, etc. throughout Europe. Really worthwhile. <BR>Cheers

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 01:30 PM
Sheila

Here's another one <BR> <BR>http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~aburnham/scot/index.htm

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:07 AM
frank

To those who wonder what the attraction is in these places : nobody knows why they were built nor what was done there. <BR>Some are several thousand years old. <BR>This combined with their prominent settings gives them an air of mystery & romance found nowhere else. <BR>The discovery of their alignments to one another (along ley-lines) and the great distances the stones were transported(Stonehege stones came from Wales) adds to the mystery. <BR>Nobody knows much so instead of reading up on experts you can make up your own legend!

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Artemis

Thanks all. I'd already been to the stonepages website and made a preliminary list, but I'm happy to get the personal recommendations. <BR> <BR>Our trip doesn't begin 'til late August so I'm crossing my fingers that the whole foot-and-mouth thing will be over by then.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 11:17 AM
wes fowler

Artemis, <BR>How about the "London Stone", a mysterious, ancient stone in the heart of London, the City of London,in fact? Been there forever and no one seems to know its history other than that tradition since the Dark Ages had it that whomever possessed it was guaranteed possession of London, as well. Go to the Cannon Street rail station. Opposite is the site of the Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation, on the former site of St. Swithin's church. The stone had been built into the wall of St. Swithin's and a fragment is now in the wall of the bank. Hard to see from the street since it's behind iron grille work, it's housed under glass in the building interior. Legend has it that in the mid-fifteenth century, the rebel Jack Cade struck the stone with his sword and proclaimed London to be his.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Paul

Try Machrie Moor in Scotland. <BR> <BR>Details are available at http://www.ukattraction.com/southern...chrie-moor.htm <BR> <BR>Paul <BR> <BR>