Reload this Page >

Stoke-on-Trent or Ironbridge Gorge on way from Warwick to N. Wales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
mary lewis

Need a stopover going from Warwick to N. Wales - am considering Ironbridge Gorge (which looks like the more direct route) or Stoke-on-Trent, which looks slightly more interesting with the potteries. Any thoughts? Any good overnight spots in either places? Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Steve Mueller

<BR>Stoke-on-Trent is not a pretty place, but if you're interested in pottery and its history, it is very interesting. My wife and I visited the Royal Doulton factory in late 2000 and it was thoroughly enjoyable. We were able to view the making of figurines, etc. from start to finish, and learned a lot of details, such as the difference between fine china and bone china. We stayed at the George Hotel, which was adjacent to the Royal Doulton complex, and the hotel staff made our reservation for the factory tour. As a stopover that might include a tour of one of the potteries, Stoke-on-Trent is worthwhile. On the other hand, I wouldn't suggest spending more than a day or two there.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:39 AM
dave

Stoke-on-Trent is a bit out of your way. It is one of the poorest towns in England as it has been overly dependent on the declining pottery industry. I would not recommend actually staying in Stoke itself if you do decide to visit but rather stay in a village nearby. Stoke is about an hour and a half from Warwick (although the traffic is horrendous around Birmingham, so don;t count on it). Likewise Ironbridge is about an hour and a half's journey (traffic slightly less worse in this direction). On the way you could visit Bridgnorth - a very attractive town perched on a cliff above the Severn with enough things to keep occupied for a good half day. Apart from a stroll and admiring the Iron Bridge, Ironbridge's main attractions are the museums focusing on the old industries of the area. The Blist's Hill museum is particularly good, with recreations of Victorian Life in a small town. Plenty of people in costume to tell you the old days and there is even an authentic pub. The drive onwards from Ironbridge to North Wales is quite quick along the A5. After Shrewsbury (about 30-40mins) you are in true border country and the scenery becomes more and more spectacular. Shrewsbury itself is well worth a visit (stopover?) - it is arguably Britain's best preserved large mediaeval town (lots of half-timbered buildings, castle etc.) and is nicely situated on a loop in the Severn. Try www.shropshiretourism.com for more info. on the area.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:09 AM
xxx

I don't recall the exact route we took, but we did stop in Shrewsbury. We also stopped in a village called Much Wenlock where we found the ruins of a priory. Touring the grounds with the self-guided audio tour was one of the unexpected gems of our trip.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:28 AM
janis

mary - DEFINITELY go via Ironbridge, Much Wenlock and Shrewsbury. As said the scenery is wonderful and the traffic almost non-existant after Kidderminster. <BR><BR>Traveling via Stoke would take you through or around Birminghan, Wolverhampton and several other west-midlands "beauty spots". It would be a dreadful drive with terrible traffic and nothing to see except the pottery tours.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Julie

Just curious...what is it that is spectacular about the scenery slightly north of Shrewsbury? And are there particular spots near Shrewsbury that would offer a good experience viewing scenery?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:19 AM
JEN from MICH in UK

I live in Leamington Spa/Warwick. Stoke on Trent is horribly ugly. But if you like china -- it's wonderful. Factory seconds shop with Wedgwood, Royal Dalton, Portmerion, Aynsley, etc.... at a fractional prices compared to the US. You can ship them for marginal cost. It's a great place.<BR><BR>However, don't stay if you want something scenic.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:29 AM
janis

Another thought - If you are really interested in the potteries - got via Shrewsbury -- BUT not the direct route through Kidderminster. Worcester is just out of your way and Royal has a great tour, wonderful museum and a factory shop. Plus Worcester Cathedral is magnificent. So head west to Worcester and then NW towards Ironbridge. That way you can have the best of both - tour a famous pottery and also see the great scenery.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 10:31 AM
janis

Make that "Royal Worcester has a great . . . ."