Stockholm-Oslo Train Advice

Feb 13th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Terry

Stockholm-Oslo Train Advice

Will be traveling to Europe in late may and will be arriving Paris. From there we will be going to Oslo for the Nutshell and other activites. Question is, we are thinking of flying into Stockholm for a quick day and taking the train to Oslo. Is there much scenery on the train trip from Stockholm to Oslo or would our time be better used elsewhere?

Alternatively what is the scenery like from Copenhagen to Oslo via train?

Thank you.

Feb 13th, 2002, 08:31 AM
toldham

I took the train from copenhagen to oslo last year--the overnight train up and the day train back. It's somewhat long and not that scenic. the train ride across norway from oslo to the cost is very nice tho.

Feb 13th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Bjorn

Terry
Neither STCK-OSL nor CPH-OSL are particulary scenic. About the same distance, though.
Stockholm is a very nice city, but often may be somewhat out of the track when doing extensive Norway/Denmark travel.
Distance from Arlanda airport to downtown Stockholm is far, compared to Copenhagen. Therefore, if your choiche is CPH or STockholm, I definately would pick the former. Copenhagen is far the most lively and interesting Scandinavian capitol.
Even if you have a rail pass, I think a boat ride CPH-OSL might be considered.
Welcome to Scandinavia
Bjorn, Oslo

Feb 14th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Tony

Terry..

I agree with Bjorn.
I've done the train trip from Copenhagen to Stockholm and then onto Oslo via Gothenburg, and none of the trips were particularly exciting. Neither was Stockholm for that matter.
Copenhagen is easily the pick of the Scandinavian capitals.
Next time I go that way I will be taking the night boat from Copenhagen to Oslo. It leaves daily at around 5 p.m., arriving Oslo at 9 a.m. Unfortunately just too late to catch the early Norway in a Nutshell trains but the trains are now quicker on that line, so there may be later departure that suits. Otherwise one day and night in Oslo would be O.K.
I found the West coast of Norway to be absolutely outstanding so plan as many days in that area as you can.

Feb 14th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Bjorn

There is an Oslo-Bergen express train around 10:43, reaching Myrdal around 15:40. Making an overnight stay, either on Finse (the very top of the rail track, one or two stations before Myrdal) or down in Flam might be worthwhile...
Bjorn, Oslo