Stirling castle day trip and a Saturday afternoon in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're less than a month away from our trip to Edinburgh and London, getting excited!

A few questions about our day trip to Stirling. We plan to take the train and wanted to stop at Linlithgow also. Understand its on the same route, do we need to get separate tickets or do we just get off and then back on? And when would you suggest we go there, en route to Stirling or on our return? I also hear there's a HOHO bus at Stirling, though I can't seem to find any info on it, can you please tell me something about it?

A second question about London. We get back from our cruise on July 21, our flight out is early the next morning, so we'll go straight to our hotel at LHR, check-in and drop off our bags. We'll then take the Tube to London, should be there by noon latest. I'd really like to go to the Tower, but will it be terribly crowded on a saturday afternoon, that too so close to the Olympics? I know you always ask people to get there first thing in the morning. If not the Tower, what museum would you recommend, we'd have done the British Museum, Tate Britain and the British Library before the cruise. As always I look forward to your suggestions, thanks a ton
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm late responding but here goes.

Linlithgow and Stirling on the same day -- I'd go to Stirling first. The castle takes a long time and you may have to cut it too short if you explore Linlithgow first. (I think the H-o-H-o tours in Stirling have been suspended for this year - but not to worry, there wouldn't be time for it, the Castle and Linlithgow all in one day)

I'm not 100% positive but I'd assume you'd need tickets Edinburgh > Stirling, Stirling > Linlithgow, and Linlithgow > Edinburgh.

As for the Tower - If one can't get there at opening, the next best is mid to late afternoon because the crowds do start to thin out a bit. So you'll be OK.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janis, will get to Stirling first and then take it from there, depending on time available. As for the Tower, we plan to be there by 1pm, guess that should be ok, but no big deal if it's still crowded.

Am hoping that the chilly wet June will give way to a real Indian summer in July
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 03:02 AM

>>Am hoping that the chilly wet June will give way to a real Indian summer in July<<

So are we, but who knows? It's been raining consistently for about 18 hours in London, and no sign of a let-up today. Still, I suppose we need it what with the drought we were having.

(It's being so cheerful as keeps me going).
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
geetika: I might even leave the Tower til a bit later. 1PM is only 4 hours after it opens and most of the early birds will still be there plus everyone arriving later in the morning (most folks spend 3-4 hours there plus meals/giftshop time). It will be very crowded at that time.

I'd maybe have a nice lunch and plan on getting to the Tower by around 2:00 or 2:30. The crowds will have started thinning a bit by then