Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Still confused after all the insurance and CDW posts...help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2002, 06:48 PM
robyn

I have read every post I can find covering CDW and types of cards which are best used for car rentals and I'm still confused.<BR>I think I am taking the super CDW insurance.<BR>Which is the best card to use for the most coverage? Visa or American Express?<BR>2) If luggage is stolen do you just make a claim?<BR>3) If car is stolen what happens?<BR>Any other suggestions are so welcome.<BR>I am renting from Auto Europe.

Old May 30th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Jon

Please check the very fine print that came with your specific credit card AND look it up on their website AND then try to get the info confirmed (verbally) by talking to someone at the company. Seriously. <BR><BR>It IS very complicated. It depends on, among other possible factors 1) which credit card (VISA, Amex, Mastercard--the specific bank doesn't matter--it's the actual credit card company that covers car insurance) 2) type of card--regular, gold, platinum, etc 3) country where you're renting and any others you'll be driving in --several countries are excluded by different companies--some the same, some different 4) type of car you're renting (some types are excluded)<BR><BR>Also, find out from Auto Europe (or whatever company you're renting from if they (or the country itself)REQUIRE you to pay for CDW or LDW insurance. If they do, whether or not it's included in your original rate or is a mandatory extra, credit card insurance will NOT apply.<BR><BR>If you end up paying for insurance , carefully check the deductible amounts for theft and /or damage to the car. Even if you're paying an CDW fee, you could end up with a liability for $1000 US or more unless you shell out for more insurance.<BR><BR>As far as I know, all car insurance mentioned has nothing to do with theft of property such as luggage stolen from your car unless you specifically add that coverage. The type of coverage you get throough US credit cards is concerned with car damage or theft , (perhaps not even injuries to yourself and others, but you need to check that yourseldf, of course...)<BR><BR>[All this applies to US based credit cards, but if your card is issued elsewhere, these are still factors to consider.]

Old May 31st, 2002, 03:58 AM
ann

I've researched this extensively since I do tend to worry about not being covered, but the cost of the additional insurance from the rental company is quite a lot and I don't want to pay it if I don't need to. I agree with the last poster to call your credit card company for verbal comfirmation of what is covered. I have Visa gold and they cover collision, damage and theft of all normal cars (don't cover luxery cars) everywhere in Europe except a few eastern Europe countries and northern Ireland. They DO cover in Italy. If you pick up the car in Italy the rental company will require you to take theft insurance even if you have credit card coverage. But if you rent in France or Genrmany and drive into Italy and the car is stolen while in Italy you are still covered. The major drawback to using credit card coverage is that the rental company may (some do, some don't) charge your card for the cost of the damage or loss. So until you get home and submit the paperwork to VISA your card will be maxed out. (Visa assures me that any interest that incurs for this will be eliminated once the claim is setteled, and they say unless you are totally negligent they cover everything.) So I also carry a master card just in case that were to happen. If luggage is stolen from the car neigher the credit card company nor the car rental insurance will cover it. Your home owners probably will though.

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:06 AM
cb

Robyn, you asked only about cdw, but some rental companies also charge loss of use. that's what they'd charge you while the car is in the repair shop. Think of this too.

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:14 AM
Doug Weller

CDW is vital, but so is 3rd party. I suspect a lot of Europeans renting cars in America end up very underinsured, buying only the state's minimum requirements. Especially those going fly-drive (which usually leaves about &pound;20-&pound;25 a day needing to be forked out for adequate insurance).

Old May 31st, 2002, 09:49 AM
Ann

And my Visa Gold DOES cover in Northern Ireland for CDW, but doesn't cover in the Republic of Ireland.<BR><BR>It really varies by card, and depends on what country in which you'll be traveling.