Sterotypes

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Alex

Sterotypes

Something a colleague said to me today at work made me think of how much we still stereotype people from other countries. For example, somebody from Holland is obviously a dope-smoking, clog-wearing tulip grower(!) What do people from other countries think of when they think of us Brits?

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:02 AM
stupid-question

gay.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:06 AM
xxx

Rotten teeth.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Marie

Great trifle and Yorkshire pudding. <BR>Some say you lack humor, but I haven't found that to be true with the few Brits I know. <BR>Super at preserving your historical sites and buildings. <BR>Wonderful gardeners. <BR>Here's one American that likes you --- a lot

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:23 AM
TrollFinder

A Brit would have the e mail address yahoo.co.uk, you cannot have yahoo.com in the UK, so I think this is a troll written as usual to start an argument, best let it drop.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Alex

I am British! Born and bred in Luton. (Getting a .com address is easy if you've managed to follow a link to yahoo.com instead of yahoo.co.uk and registered for e-mail from there)

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Xx

It can't be done "Alex"

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Alex

Oh? I'm sure I've done it in the past. Ah, never mind. You are however, right really. My e-mail does end in .co.uk - I'm more used to my work one which does end .com and probably slapped the wrong ending on in my slipshod way!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Sjoerd

You can open a Yahoo, Hotmail, Mailcity, etc. account from anywhere in the world.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Bill

In the spirit of scientific inquiry, I did the reverse - signing up for e-mail on Yahoo.co.uk from America. Works just fine! <BR>(Just what I need... another e-mail address!) <BR>Stereotype of English folks? Well, my beloved maternal grandfather was English (moved to the US at age 18), so I had nothing but warm and fuzzy stereotypes from the get-go. <BR>Currently, there's this weird dichotomy of somewhat prissy upper class types on one side and drunken football hooligans on the other. My grandfather was neither... a sincere, gentle, working class, salt-of-the-earth type.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Anon

Bill <BR>Alex is Welsh, he asked for stereotypes of British people, not English . British people - dry sense of humour, outwardly cold until you get to know them, dislike Americans and French (and are disliked by them in turn) and probably Germans.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Bill

How about stereotypes of the WELSH. In America, the average person would say "huh?". Cosmopolitan type that I am, I would say "live in towns with unpronounceable names."

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 01:12 PM
wendy

When I think Welsh, I think Tom Jones.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Karen

Alex <BR> <BR>You are just asking for trouble here! There are some nasty people on this forum who delight in questions such as these. Along with the Americans and French, the Brits are probably the nationality they most love to insult - hence the 2 posts following yours! Expect more of the usual insulting posts about teeth and WWII. &lt;yawn&gt;

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Maureen

Waht's a "sterotype"?

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 04:27 PM
not so suspicious

good sense of humor; tendency to understate, a little tight with emotional expression; nice to their dogs; polite, always apologizing when someone else bumps into them <BR> <BR>The internet is the internet is the internet. Therefore you can get any web-based internet address (e.g., yahoo, hotmail) anywhere from a computer with internet access. You can choose to research yahoo through a country/language version, and get a country-specific e-mail, or not. Just for the hell of it i got myself an Italian hotmail e-mail address, from my computer at work in the USA.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Al

Getting to know an Englishman is like climbing a tall mountain...it can be done but your tired as hell when you finally get there.

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 01:38 AM
Dr Ratchet

bloody americans......

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Anon

But Al when you get to the top you never regret it and the tiredness soon wears off.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 02:18 PM
John

I was there visiting with some high end Londoners. My partner, whom they knew well and respected is a big wig, and knowing this a guy looked over and asked me how I get along in my STATION. As if I were of a lower class, that cracked me up to the point that I just couldn't open up that fresh can o' yankee whoop ass I brought along with me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -