Winter in Europe

Search

Winter in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter in Europe

I am just starting out planning a holiday trip to Europe. Ideally I would be leaving December 12 and coming back the 4th. With winter travel I was wondering what types of weather delays I would run into(with the trains) and how crowed it would be. As of right now itinerary would be Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Barring any huge snowstorm or ice storm or strikes, none of which can be predicted, you shouldn't run into any big delays.

As for traffic, it shouldn't be as bad as the summer but local traffic depends largely on what is going on locally.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 10:48 AM

Hi Dues2315,

In my experience, winter (as in December) in Europe can be a really fun time, especially around the holidays. It mostly depends on the weather - heavy snow could interfere, so I'd suggest you double check the weather predictions for that period.

As for the crowds, it can get pretty intense in terms of transportation, so make sure you book ahead if you can.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I once took trains from Stockholm all the way to Barcelona in the winter. I saw little snow; had absolutely no delays, but almost froze my tail off in Zurich! I don't think the places you are going will present much difficulty as others have said.

They really aren't all that far from each other, either. The train trip from Prague to Munich can be a somewhat lengthy daytime extravaganza (assuming you leave early in the morning). Enjoy your trip. Should be fun.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 05:01 PM

We visited Vienna, Salzburg and Munich in December 2012 for the Christmas Markets. It was fairly crowded near the main markets (Munich and Vienna have many markets) but not otherwise. Hotels were not overly booked, or especially expensive. Restaurants filled up so make reservations.

This was one of 4 Christmas Market trips for us. We enjoyed it but not so much as visits to some smaller towns.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

@Gary_Mc What were your favorite towns/cities to visit?
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 08:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in Vienna and have visited all of the cities on your itinerary in winter; particularly the weeks around Christmas and New Years. Dressing in layers is critical; the weather may be damp, snowy or cold (or mild, who knows!), but quite often the inside (restaurants, museums) will be extremely warm. Well-insulated footwear is important, too.

At Christmas market time the markets and tourist areas will be crowded, drawing people to the warmth of Glühwein and the kettle fires.

Over the holiday period stores, restaurants and attractions may have special closings or holiday hours, so good planning and reservations would help, too.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 07:46 PM

Our favorite town in that area is Regensburg with its Romantic Market at the palace located in town.

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-...5028020_t5NQGm

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-...5030947_4WtqMc

Nearby Passau was very scenic, though the market was pretty meager if that matters to you.

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent2...7269752_mTt8bM

Also in the area is Landshut, with its many Baroque Facade Buildings and a castle. Once again the Christmas Market was just a small community affair, though we liked it.

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Christm...0635634_WwvXRT

There are nice small towns all over Germany. I mention these as they are handy to Munich and reasonably on the way from Vienna to Munich.