Reload this Page >

Staying outside of Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 01:47 AM
Christine

There is a lot here on hotels in Venice, has anyone had a positive experience staying in hotels just outside of Venice? Is the Lido good? We want to stay one night near Venice (2 nights in Verona) for a long weekend. Any suggestions?

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 01:48 AM
Christine

I should have mentioned we do have a car (coming from Switzerland).

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:29 AM
Paulo

When are you travelling? Depending on the month you're travelling you may get a cheap resort hotel in Montegrotto Terme, just south of Padua, a relatively short train ride into Venice. I, for one, don't favor the Lido very much. It doesn't help you that much cutting car parking expenses. You'd have to ferry back and forth ... <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:32 AM
Christine

I guess I should also mention we will be travelling the first weekend in June (Holiday weekend here in CH if that makes a difference). Is Mestre really that bad? I've been to Venice before and it looked very industrial.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 01:43 PM
Paulo

If you add lodging in Venice + garage/parking costs, it indeed won't be cheap ... Therefore, if you're travelling back home early in the morning after a night's sleep in the area, staying in Mestre would make some sense. Mestre is indeed ugly but you shouldn't worry once it'll serve you only for sleeping. In principle, I would choose a hotel convenient to the train station. If you leave Verona at 8am, you should be able to be at the check in table around 9:20am and be in Venice around 10:20am (the trip takes 10 minutes and there's a train at least every 8-9 minutes). You may now plan to dine in Venice and to make a night stroll before returning (there are very frequent trains back till after midnight). I can't recommend you a hotel in Mestre, though. There appears that a couple very close to the train station have been recommended here. <BR>Now, if I were planning to leave back home only around noon the following day, I'd probably prefer a cheap 1-star hotel in Venice and ay for parking instead of getting a better hotel in Mestre. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. I would never stay in the Lido in your situation ... it won't be that much cheaper and you'll loose precious time ferrying your car back and forth and taking the vaporetto back and forth to Venice. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 05:38 AM
JohnC

Don't do it! Stay IN Venice. Wandering those unique streets late at night after dinner, and early in the morning when things are still quiet, is in my opinion an essential part of the Venice "experience." It's worth a couple hundred thousand lire more for a hotel room, and it's not really a big hassle to drive over the causeway, park at Tronchetto and take the vaporetto. By the way, Verona is splendid. I don't know if there are performances in the Arena when you're going, but be sure to go inside even if nothing is on. Have fun.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 01:08 PM
Rod

Strongly agree with John, above. My wife is from Venice and we have visited the city almost every year since our marriage 50 years ago. Believe me, if you stay in the city your visit will be much more memorable. Some of the most enjoyable times are early in the morning and late at night, when the city is not crowded. <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 02:06 PM
john

I agree with the above two posters, especially John c. Ya have to stay in Venice.....ah! Venice...I want to go back!

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 04:07 PM
marty

Christine: <BR>Staying in Venice is ideal, but if you are looking at staying at Mestre, try the Hotel Bologne. I think it is a Best Western. It is a modern hotel directly across the street from the train station. Cross the street, and you are there. The ride to Venice takes about 10 minutes.