Search

Staying Long in Schengen Zone

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying Long in Schengen Zone

Hey all,

I am from a Schengen country myself and have been visiting Denmark a lot because my boyfriend lives there. I have been living with him for a long time now and am starting to wonder if I can just stay here until we eventually move to my country? I am self employed and pay taxes in my country, and my self employment gives me the ability to travel wherever I want. The self employment agency also didn't say anything when I mentioned I would be in Denmark for most of the year, neither did my accountant.

But I still want to be sure. I normally stay here for 2-3 months and then go back to my home country to visit my family for like 2 weeks. I thought this was how it is done, but now I read something about only being able to stay 90 days in a 180 days period, but I always read this in regards to Americans coming to Europe. Does this also apply to schengen members (Belgium) staying in schengen countries? cause I dont want to be apart from my partner for so long. He is still studying.

I never have to show any visa or passport, Only when I go and check in for my flight I have to give my flight ticket and identity card at the check in desk. Thats it... So how can they even know I am in Denmark for more than 90 days in 180 days.
Old May 25th, 2016, 01:08 AM

If you're Belgian, you hardly need to ask here.
Old May 25th, 2016, 01:40 AM

In my opinion Shengen is just devised for that : anyone from Schengne can travel inside Schengen as freely as he/she wants.

However the best info will be gotten from the belgian consulate.
I would never trust an answer from unknown (to me) people on a forum for questions like that.

Patrick, are Belgians not allowed to ask questions on Fodors ??
;-)
Old May 25th, 2016, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you I will contact them
Old May 25th, 2016, 01:57 AM

A Belgian and living in Denmark.

If you live in a country you have to abide by that counties laws. Schengen has nothing to do with this matter. It is the freedom of movement within the EU.
http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=457
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyour...FTU_3.1.3.html
Rules for Denmark:
https://ec.europa.eu/eures/main.jsp?...tions=0&step=1
Old May 25th, 2016, 02:02 AM

BTW if you do not register you will not be able to obtain health care or pay into any social system to obtain pension (later in life) or full health care.
Old May 25th, 2016, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Ribeirasacra I do. I pay taxes in Belgium, I also put money in a pension fund each month. I am completely registered in Belgium and have everything taken care off. If I need medical attention I will go to Belgium. I also have a european health card for 1 year
Old May 25th, 2016, 03:09 AM

If you move to Denmark permanently you will need to register there, and pay your taxes there.
The rules for residency vary by country. If you live in Denmark for more than half the year, they may argue that you are liable to pay your taxes there, instead of in Belgium. It is different per country.

I don't know the rules for Denmark. I know that the Netherlands, for example, will consider not only the days that you spend in the country, but also where your main residency is. So if you have a business in Belgium, own property there, your family all live there - they will consider you as Belgian for tax purposes, even if you spend most of the year in the Netherlands.

If you earn income in Denmark, from activities carried out in Denmark, you will probably have to pay taxes over that income in Denmark.

Tax-wise, it may be interesting for you to have your residency in Denmark. Belgium has some of the highest taxes on employment in Europe. You would need to speak to an accountant who is familiar with this.
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:08 AM

But if you are living in Denmark over a certain amount of days you are obliged to register. That is the law. If you want to break it then so be it. But this forum is not about advising you how to break the law.
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:27 AM

That's why it is better to ask authorities.

My own situation involves working in different countries inside Schengen and I just read things above that are not correct at least for those countries. So again, better to avoid jumping on high horses and tell people who come for advice that they are breaking the law.

Belgian consulate has all the answers.

Zijde gij een Vlaming of tu es francophone ? (just out of sheer curiosity, not implying the answer would be different if you come from north or south) ? Anna moi ... might be the answer.
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Vlaming hehe.

Ik zal het Belgisch consulaat wel contacteren. Wel met een ander email adres want ik ben nogal paranoid XD Da ze mij ineens gaan deporteren ofzo lol.
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:54 AM

Geen slecht idee !
Beste !
Old May 25th, 2016, 05:21 AM

Annamoi; het Belgische consulaat zal daar niet bij kunnen helpen; het gaat om de Deense regelgeving. Elk land heeft zo zijn eigen regels.

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/comi...-eea_citizens/
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:02 AM

Ik kan en zal schrijven dat ze illegaal is. Op basis van feiten.
Dont worry I can read Dutch too, having lived in NL for a number of years.
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Goed voor u Ribeira, maar ik begrijp niet waarom u dat zegt. Ik geloof u gewoon niet, en Anna heeft maar gevraagd.

You're jumping on conclusion, and have no facts. She is asking.

Good advice Tulips !