Search

Staying in Vigo, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying in Vigo, Spain

Hello,

Looking into what to do for a week after the end of my Camino Ingles in Santiago de Compostela in Sept. Ive been many times to Santiago, and surrounding towns, but not to Vigo. Recently I read an article about it (very positive) and I'm considering going there for a couple of days.In looking at my notes, The Hotel Pazo Los Escudos had been recommended by Fodors poster Maribel some years ago ( sadly she doesnt post here anymore), so I'm hoping to get validation of this recommendation, or new recommendations. In looking at this hotel's website and current reviews, it looks lovely, though I'm concerned about it being outside the city center. Would love comments about accommodations in Vigo , and also opinions if its a place that would be interesting to be for a couple of days, and what to do there. Maybe Islas Cies? Thank you!

Last edited by cruiseluv; Jan 22nd, 2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 02:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
We stayed three nights at the AC Palacio Universel. (Sept 2018)

Vigo is a working port town that caters more to locals than it does to tourists. I like that.

Definitely Islas Cies.
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 07:43 AM

Islas Cíes is a must while in Vigo. A city with no personality, no old town, nothing to see really...the city is in a hill so anywhere you go you have to climb or go down, good seafood (but that´s all over coastal Galicia), plenty of ships daily to Cíes (but very restricted to human presence, not much to do there except hiking).
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 07:26 PM

I agree with Mikelg and cdnyul. There is nothing to it except the ferry to Islas Cíes.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by IMDonehere
I agree with Mikelg and cdnyul. There is nothing to it except the ferry to Islas Cíes.
You can't agree with both.
I think Vigo is a great place to spend a couple of days.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by cdnyul
You can't agree with both.
I think Vigo is a great place to spend a couple of days.
You did not give a resounding recommendation the first time. And this is why I post very little these days. Another person who makes two days in a town into a career.

It is bleak place where cruise ships now stop. My cousin went the University there for five years and might never return.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 07:08 AM

I would not recommend staying in Vigo - but if you rent a car, you could travel around the beautiful and verdantly lush back roads of Galicia north of Santiago toward A Coruna, and then head west and south along the coast toward Vigo. The Rias Baixas villages are quaint and lovely, and there are wineries and beach-side lodging along the way. Amazing local seafood dishes, You could end your trip in Vigo, if that is your destination - although when we did this road trip, we skipped Vigo and headed directly to the airport, turned in our car, and flew to Madrid.

Last edited by scdreamer; Jan 24th, 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 08:44 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We picked up our rental car in Vigo and then drove to Baiona and stayed at the seafront parador, beautiful spot. Then we drove to O Grove, again a perfect place to spend time in the Rias Baixes.
We were heading north to Santiago de Compostela after touring Portugal. We loved this area of Spain.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the comments. When I travel around Spain I do it using public transport. I understand that limits me , but I chose not to drive. The reason I'm considering Vigo is that a recent article about it in the WSJ piked my interest. Its also easy to get there from Santiago by bus. After a couple of days I would probably fly from there to Bilbao.

HappyTrvlr, would staying a couple of nights at the Parador be too much? Is there anything to do in Baiona? I could probably find a way to get there from Vigo, by taxi or bus.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 10:34 AM

People are being unnecessarily hard on the place. Vigo has a very vibrant bar & restaurant scene around Puerta do Sol and the old quarter, while not scaling the heights of Santiago or Pontevedra, does have some notable medieval buildings. One of the very best places in Galicia to drink wines from Galicia, other regions of Spain and the rest of the world is there too, Malauva, run by the charming Josiño with his wife Mariña, who turns out totally brilliant tapas from her tiny kitchen there. I would go to Vigo just for that place!*
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 12:59 PM

I would and will go back for the wonderful family that runs the Capri Ice cream shop near the AC Marriott.
Richest hot chocolate and best churros we had in Spain.

Taberna A Mina, and the wonderful hostess for that total local immersion.

I love port cities, the are used to strangers.

I am happy to leave Santiago to the cargo of the floating petri dishes.
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mactheknife60
People are being unnecessarily hard on the place. Vigo has a very vibrant bar & restaurant scene around Puerta do Sol and the old quarter, while not scaling the heights of Santiago or Pontevedra, does have some notable medieval buildings. One of the very best places in Galicia to drink wines from Galicia, other regions of Spain and the rest of the world is there too, Malauva, run by the charming Josiño with his wife Mariña, who turns out totally brilliant tapas from her tiny kitchen there. I would go to Vigo just for that place!*
Thanks for mentioning Malauva. It was mentioned in the WSJ article that prompted me to consider Vigo. Sounds like there's enough to keep me interested for a couple of nights
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cdnyul
I would and will go back for the wonderful family that runs the Capri Ice cream shop near the AC Marriott.
Richest hot chocolate and best churros we had in Spain.

Taberna A Mina, and the wonderful hostess for that total local immersion.

I love port cities, the are used to strangers.

I am happy to leave Santiago to the cargo of the floating petri dishes.

Hello, could you tell me if the Marriott hotel you refer to is the Palacio Universal? If so, were you staying there and liked it? Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 12:50 AM

Yes, stayed there and liked it.