Reload this Page >

Staying in the Trastavere area of Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Kate

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about staying in this area? I found a website for a convent converted into a hotel that looks wonderful. It is just across the Tiber in Trastavere, but I have not found much information on the area. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Surlok

Trastevere is a popular district, with part of it being the jewish quarter, as you might now. It's very lively at night, but a bit run down during the day. <BR> <BR>Depending on where this hotel/ converted convent is located, if close to Ponte Sisto, for example, is very easy and not too far to cross the Tibre to get to Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Navona area. OTOH, walking from Porta Portese, the distance is too long to be made in a daily basis. As I did it a month ago, I know what I'm talking about. <BR> <BR>Could you be more specific as to where, precisely, do you mean to stay in Trastevere? Do you have the hotel address? <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 02:53 AM
Kate

The street is Vicolo de Piede near the Piazza Santa Maria. It is right by a bridge but can't read the name on the map, and it doesn't zoom in - Ponte Pre(something). I believe the bridge goes to Tiber Island then on to the rest of Rome. We don't have reservations or anything. I am just checking hotels, prices, and areas. Have never read much about Trastavere on this site so was wondering about it.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Karen

Vicolo de piede is in the heart of Trastevere, and would be an interesting and lively neighborhood, an easy walk away from the Centro Storico of Rome. One correction to Surlok's otherwise accurate description: the Jewish neighborhood is not in Trastevere, but just on the other side of the Tiber Island from it.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:35 AM
A.M.

Hello Kate, <BR> I have not stayed in Trastavere, but while I was in Rome in the Spring I had an enjoyable afternoon stroll around the area. I am interested in what the opinions are. I would stay there next time. More locals, fewer tourists and great atmosphere. Hope you get specific help about hotels. <BR>A.M.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:05 AM
Capo

Hi Kate. We didn't stay there, but we visited Trastevere three times in the evening when we were in Rome and loved walking around the maze of narrow streets. Depending on where your room would be located (on the street side, for example) in the convent, and what the windows are like, I suppose it <I>could</I> be a bit noisy in the evening as there's a lot of street activity in Trastevere, so that might be something to inquire about. <BR> <BR>As Surlok said, it's a rather short walk from Trastevere across the Tiber -- Trastevere means "Trans Tevere" (or "Across the Tiber") -- to Campo di Fiori and the Centro Storico. <BR> <BR>While I don't think Trastever is part of the Jewish quarter anymore, I believe it used to be; I think the Jewish people in Trastevere were moved across the Tiber to the former ghetto area (which is worth exploring.)

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Surlok

Kate, <BR> <BR>I don't have a map with me right now, but since I had dinner at a very nice restaurant in Isola Tiberina, I figured out that you'll be crossing the Tiber like half a mile south than I did, when I walked from Porta Portese to Campo dei Fiori, so, you'll have to walk a little more, but not that much. It's be perfectly doable. <BR> <BR>As Capo said, the area can be quite noisy at night, but is also a lot of fun. If you're used to sleep early, make sure that you have a room in the back of the building, otherwise, enjoy everything that happens there. <BR> <BR>Also, there's a tram that crosses the Tibre, heading to the historic quarter ( and to other districts) a block or two north from Isola Tiberina. It might be useful to have tickets with you, so you can use it whether to leave Trastevere or to come back to the hotel if you're too tired to walk. <BR> <BR>Trastevere is, usually cheaper, meaning restaurants, shopping, gelatterie, than the fancy shopping area in the historic quarter. <BR> <BR>Don't miss the Porta Portese market on Sunday morning, and if you can, have dinner at La Sorelela in the Isola Tiberina. It's a small restaurant, very traditional in Rome ( every Roman knows it), with delicious food, and not fancy at all. It's a little bit expensive, but the food and the "vino dela casa" are worth, absolutely delicious. <BR> <BR>Also, visit the church of Santa Cecilia. I liked it much more than I liked Sta. Maria in Trastevere. <BR> <BR>One last word of advise. If you're young, or young at heart ( what I bet you are, otherwise you wouldn't think of staying in Trastevere), you'll be fine there. Otherwise, I'd think of another alternative. <BR> <BR>Have a pleasant stay in Rome, <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 01:00 PM
dale

porta portese is like no other bazaar that i have experienced. don't go if you have a tendency toward claustrophobia. ciao.