Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Staying in South Kensington-is LHR or LCY a better airport to fly to next destination

Search

Staying in South Kensington-is LHR or LCY a better airport to fly to next destination

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2023, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are staying in a flat in South Kensington in early June. Our nearest stops are South Kensington and Gloucester.

From London, we will be flying to Barcelona. I see similarly priced and timed flights departing from both LHR and LCY. Curious if there is a better airport in terms of ease and time of getting there, and also, would LCY be significantly less crowded than LHR?

Last edited by laurarick; Apr 26th, 2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 01:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by laurarick
Hi,

We are staying in a flat in South Kensington in early June. Our nearest stops are South Kensington and Gloucester ROAD.

From London, we will be flying to Barcelona. I see similarly priced and timed flights departing from both LHR and LCY. Curious if there is a better airport in terms of ease and time of getting there, and also, would LCY be significantly less crowded than LHR?
Note the edits above, Gloucester Road is the station near your flat - Gloucester is a city 100 miles away in the Cotswolds.

Heathrow is 'easier' by transport because of the direct Piccadilly line with no changes. The trip out to LCY is actually faster but with two changes. District line to Westminster, Jubilee line to Canning Town, DLR to LCY. LCY is a much smaller airport, security takes much less time. With smaller/manageable luggage I'd probably pick LCY.

Old Apr 30th, 2023, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Janisj!

One last question -- we are US citizens. If we fly from LCY ---> BCN, I know you said security is less time. Any suggestion how far in advance we should arrive at LCY for a 9AM flight?
2 hours? or more? And similarly, if we decided to fly from LHR---> BCN instead, any suggestion about how long in advance we should arrive to LHR? I've heard security at LHR takes a very long time. I wasn't sure if it is the same if flying within Europe, or it the security is longer for flying outside Europe.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 01:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
1 hour should be more than fine. 1.5 hours if 1 hour makes you nervous I have friends who live near LCY and they don't even walk out their door til 45 minutes before a flight.

One goes through security no matter the destination/passport. At LHR every terminal has its own security/issues could be fine in terminal 2 and lousy long in terminal 5 or vice versa.