Reload this Page >

Staying in shape in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 1998, 03:32 AM
Lee R

I am leaving for Venice-Florence-Rome-Positano next week. I will be in Italy for two weeks. I jog about 2-3 miles three or four times a week. Should I bring my running shoes along or will I not use them. I jog on a treadmill for cardio reasons, will the walking be sufficient and the shoes just extra baggage.

Old May 14th, 1998, 04:16 AM
Alicia

I am also a runner and spent 2 weeks in Italy doing almost the exact itinerary (I stayed in Sorrento instead of Positano). I walked all day long for those two weeks, didn't run, ate a lot of gelato and actually LOST weight!

If you are planning on doing a lot of sightseeing, I recommend leaving your running shoes at home since you'll be getting a lot of exercise anyway.

Enjoy,
Alicia

Old May 14th, 1998, 11:02 AM
Cheryl Z.

hi - remember too there's lot's of steps in all these old cities, some of them can be quite an excercise themselves!

Old May 14th, 1998, 11:10 AM
Cheryl Z.

hi - remember too there's lot's of steps in all these old cities, some of them can be quite an excercise themselves!

Old May 15th, 1998, 01:53 PM
Craig

I mentioned elsewhere in this site that I'd done three weeks in Europe with the intent of a light jog every morning to watch the cities wake up. It was great until I sprained my ankle -- uneven Parisian sidewalks. I used my running shoes for walking around in the day, much more comfortable than loafers. If you are doing enough walking to stem your workouts you need the shoes anyway for the comfort. Have a nice pair for night time.