staying in Reading OR near

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for Comfort Inn and can get amazing rates on hotels - well two hotels so far I have listed the addresses - I want to see London - Buckingham Palace, Big Ben.... My question is - which of the two addresses listed would I be able to use the tube to get to london?? is one location better than the other - I love the looks of the one in Reading but if Heathrow works better well of course I could stay there. I am talking $60 per night so I really need to choose one of these. We are planning to be there march 12- 16. Thanks in advance!!

39 Christchurch Road , Reading

or

Shepiston Lane
Hayes, EN ( heathrow comfort inn)
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Hayes is more or less a suburb of London. Reading is not.

The Comfort Inn in Hayes is right next to the M4, but I would hope it's suitably sound-insulated. You'd get not the tube but the mainline trains from Hayes and Harlington into Paddington.

The one in Reading is quite a bit further from Reading station, from where the journey into London is much longer and more expensive.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetables and fares.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget to factor in the cost of transport. You will be too far out to easily go back to your hotel during the day for a short break or change of clothes etc.

The train fare from Hayes & Harlington to London Paddington (www.nationalrail.co.uk) is 5 pound return off peak or 7.50 during peak. On top of this, you will have to pay for bus or tube from Paddington to wherever you are going.

From Reading, the train fare will be more expensive.

$60 (is that USD?) does sound cheap though so financially you should come out ahead.
Kay
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:34 PM

KayF,

Can't the OP get an inclusive rail/underground/bus ticket for the day or are those a thing of the distant past?
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cathinjoetown - I've never heard of a ticket for use on the tube and national rail but they may exist. The best places to check are the Transport for London site www.tfl.co.uk or the site above for National Rail.

We use an Oyster Card for the tube and London buses which is by far the most cost effective way to travel. Buying single tickets is much dearer.

Sorry I can't help more.

Kay
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM
yk

The Hayes & Harlington <-> Paddington
is served by First GreatWestern.

From their website, it appears that one can buy a one-day travelcard which will be valid for the train trip PLUS transport within London...

<i>For one days unlimited travel on all Transport for London Buses, Underground, Dockalnds Light Railway, Tramlinks and National Rail services in London, ask for a One Day Tavelcard when buying your train ticket. There are both peak and off-peak versions available to suit your needs.</i>
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/C...=44#Travelcard
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Both of those would be horrible places (pitiful actually) to stay to tour London.

Reading is not in London or even greater London. Hayes/Harlington is in zone 5 so you would pay nearly double for transport into central London. And you would have very long journeys both directions.

That would be a truly false economy.

You can priceline a 3 star hotel in the middle of London for around $70-ish and a 4 star for around $100 and be right in the center of things and w/i a few minutes of lots of sites.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

i had thought about doing a package deal with hotel and stay in london - which would of course be first choice but didnt know if we could get for less than the $60 per night.... thanks again and keep the info coming.

from what i have read - Reading is NOT best choice - due to distance - if we stayed near airport they do provide shuttle to airport and train station -

any and all suggestions are appreicated

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:02 PM

&quot;<i>If we stayed near airport they do provide shuttle to airport and train station</i>&quot;

No, all Heathrow area hotels are on various hotel Hoppa bus routes. The Hoppa costs &pound;5 per person each way to/from LHR/hotel. They are not allowed to offer shuttles

So if there are two of you - a round trip on the Hoppa to LHR would cost &pound;20. You can take local buses which are included in your London travel card (Oyster or otherwise)

It honestly doesn't make sense to stay at LHR for visiting central London. If the room is free, I <i>might</i> consider it - but it still would not be convenient.

For a night before a morning flight - sure - but for a London visit - nope.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Oops - should have said <u>most</u> LHR area hotels are on Hoppa routes.

For others - it would be a taxi or possibly local buses.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM

me again

Can't you book/get a discount w/ any of the Comfort Inns right IN London. There are several including 2 very near Victoria Station. YOu can't get more central than that.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

there are comfort inn hotels IN london but the dont offer the discount... I was really hoping!!! I am looking at other options - can anyone suggest a good AREA of london to stay??? victoria? kensington? earls court?? I'm looking at tubehotels and not sure of what area to check into - again thanks
http://www.tubehotels.com/

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Just go on Priceline!!! Check on biddingfortravel.com to see what sort of rates others have won and bidding strategies. They also have a list of hotels for the different areas. I personally like South Kensington or Mayfair as areas but others may feel differently. You could also try a search on here as there have been a million discussions about London hotels and London areas to stay.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I agree - if you aren't tied to Comfort Inns, then use Priceline. The rates will be nearly as good as your employee discount out in Reading . . . . .
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:43 AM

Forget about staying at a Comfort Inn right out in the sticks. Try the Travelodge at Marylebone or Covent Garden. You can get some very good savings on the website if you book well in advance.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Travelodge has three properties in more-or-less central London - Southwark, City Road, and Aldgate East - in your price range.

www.travelodge.co.uk

You can also get a double room at a YHA hostel in your price range. We've stayed at several YHA properties in the UK and have been really pleased with the rooms and the prices.

www.yha.org.uk

Lee Ann
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Many years ago, before privatization of the railways (with costs going up as a result), I used to live in Reading, and I've visited more recently. Agree it makes little sense to stay there if your intent is to see the big sites of London. People DO commute between London and Reading, but the locals get a deal tourists don't and it still isn't cheap. If you decide to stay in Reading, though, Oxford is about a 30 minute train ride away and well worth a visit.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

I am really liking Victoria - I have looked at so many hotels my eyes are about to cross!!! I know a hotel in London will be different than in the US - I am basically looking for - CLEAN - SAFE and our own bathroom. I have found a few that seems not too bad - Holly House - Grapevine Hotel - Park Hotel - Huttons Hotel and Dover Hotel. Is Victoria way expensive?? I have found some that are decently prices - and I know you get what you pay for -

really thinking central london - rather than Reading or close to Heathrow - if anyone can recommend an area that is near Big Ben - Buckingham Palace - Harrods..... I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Again we basically are looking for a place to sleep that is clean and safe what is a budget hotel with our own bathroom.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Try the wellington hotel its in victoria, very cheap, clean, safe.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:33 AM

OK - absolutely nothing wrong w/ the Wellington. It is a good budget property midway between Victoria stn and Tate Britain. But honestly, why would one choose to pay &pound;60 double to have a bath down the hall when one can get a full service 3-star hotel for the same or less using Priceline? Or a 4 star place for just a bit more . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -