Staying in London - Easy Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm starting to plan my trip to London, and am looking into places to stay for 9 nights. I definitely want basic/budget, but NOT a hostel. I read about Easy Hotels...anyone ever stayed in one? It looks like the rooms have the absolute bare minimum, which is fine, but are clean and at a good price. Thoughts, or any other suggestions of places to stay?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:02 AM

Look for my Trip Report: London, 2007. We stayed in one of the easyHotels. Just imagine a cabin on a boat. But the description and the photograph in the accompanying album might make things clearer.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:04 AM

Try Londontown.com. We found a nice B&B using that site. You can pick the area you want, the price range, the type of lodging, etc. It is a very helpful site. Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
easyHotel -- might OK for a night or two. (but even then, there are better options IMO)

But after 9 nights in a capsule w/o a window (unless you pay extra) or a TV (unless you pay extra for the remote) housekeeping/towels changed (unless you pay extra)-- gaol/jail would be better. Only a <i>slight</i> exaggeration.

There are many better options -B&B hotels like those near the British Museum or Victoria Station. Priceline -- which is brilliant for London (though you'd probably have to break your bid into 2 shorter periods). Or renting a studio apartment.

easyHotel isn't all that cheap when you add all the extras you'd want/need for a 9-night stay.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 08:40 AM

What is your basic/budget?
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM

Ha ha... I like the comment that jail would be better that Easy Hotel. I have to agree, even though it pains me (because I like a good bargain!).

We stayed at the Easy Hotel near Gloucester Road. It really is like being in a submarine. There is no ambient light, so you have no idea what time it is. And if you're suffering from jetlag, your body really depends on the dawn light to wake you up!

You can spend just a teeny bit more money and get a decent hotel near Earl's Court.

Oh, also ... Easy Hotel charges extra for the TV remote control, for a decent sized towel, for an alarm clock -- unless you're a super organized packer, you'll end up spending the same amount as a nicer hotel.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could look at Travelodge or Premier Inns chains. Travelodge is the more basic but you get a bed and a shower which is what most people want, they also have some very cheap deals, like rooms for £19 or £29. Premier Inn is a bit nicer and you can sometimes get deals as well.

The universities also rent out their accommodation at certain times of the year, some are just the room, with others you can get a mini kitchen and ensuite bathroom. Here's the website, check your dates first as I think they are only available at Easter and during the summer break.

http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/default.htm

You don't get much for your money in London and some cheaper places we've stayed have been awful. So check out your choice thoroughly before parting with any money.

Kay
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM

>>Travelodge is the more basic but you get a bed and a shower . . . . And a <u>window</u><<

Seriously, Travelodge would be much better -- but don't count on £19, and even the £29 are pretty rare at their London locations.

Also, Travelodge rates are VERY load specific. So if you plug in your dates at one of the properties you might get £29 for 2 nights then £75 for the next, then £99, the next night, and back to £29 for a night or two. They'd give you the total for your stay but each night could vary tremendously depending on occupancy forecasts.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Yes Travelodge would be much better, They will give you accurate figures for your stay. No hidden costs.

Of course, sometimes you might want to consider what your plans are. If you stay somewhere cheap but end up paying loads of travelling fees for buses or taxis, then it will not be worth it at all.

Last year, i had a short trip at London as was waiting for my flight transit. So stayed in a cheap hotel but never knew the taxi/train fares to Heathrow actually cost around the same price as my hotel short stay! So ended up paying double.

Plan and pick wise! If you are going to take any flights, consider hotels near the airport. I would recommend St Giles Heathrow if you are staying near LHR:

http://www.stgilesheathrow.com/

They provide good service, 3 stars hotel and with parking if required.

Terenze
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM

terenze: "<i>never knew the taxi/train fares to Heathrow actually cost around the same price as my hotel short stay!</i>"

If you had asked here first we could have helped you save a ton of £££. No one (except the seriously wealthy) takes cabs to/from LHR. A pre-booked car service is <u>much</u> cheaper. And the train is about the most expensive short train ride imagineable (which is why we recommend car services or the tube).
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Seriously, Travelodge would be much better -- but don't count on £19, and even the £29 are pretty rare at their London locations.

well it depends on the time of year too - one British Fodorite recently reported getting 29 quid or was it 19 quid room at the TravelLodge near Covent Garden - in any case whatever you pay at TravelLodge is a great deal IMO for London, one of the world's most expensive places for hotels (and practically anything else!)

Old Dec 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM

http://premierinnfinder.com/london-p...inn-hotels.php

Premier Inns also can be great deals - even a full price.

The thing about Travel Lodge and Premier Inns are that you get a modern hotel with modern plumbing, modern cable TV, etc - not the crap shoot you may get with say flats in old buildings with ancient plumbing, etc.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM

old post topped by a scammer?