Staying in Begur, Spain

Search

Staying in Begur, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying in Begur, Spain

After reading some threads, Begur seems like a nice spot for some relaxation after a work week in Paris. We’ve been to Barcelona many times, so I was focusing on a different more small town experience. Right now I’m looking at Hotel Aiguaclara in town and Hostal Sa Rascassa a few miles out of Begur on the coast. Anyone have any thoughts or personal experience with either hotel? Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 11:24 AM

macdogmom,
I've only had experience dining in both but not staying in either because I've stayed at the Parador (now closed for a major renovation) or the family-run Hotel Aiguablava across the bay of Fornells.

They're both charming in their own way. It really depends, I think, on whether you want to be in the center of this chic hillside town within an easy walk of other restaurants, cafes, shops and the weekly (Wednesday) market, or if you prefer to be in a secluded, quiet pine covered cove with sea views, 3 km away from town. They both have fine restaurants. The Sa Racassa has only 5 rooms, basic, small but cozy. They sit above the restaurant so would be affected by some noise. The Aiguaclara is an interesting 19th century "indiano" mansion decorated in a quirky vintage style with garden, parking but no sea views.

I love Begur, its interesting architecture, its nearby beaches and the countryside surrounding it. The locals call it their "Little Tuscany" (for the similarity in landscape). It's easy to make a loop drive to see the charming medieval villages of Pals, Peratallada, Monells, Ulastret, etc.

If I had to choose, I'd splurge for a superior room with terrace at the Aiguaclara but I'd also have dinner in the garden of the Sa Racassa. But that's me...
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Maribel! I was hoping you would see the post and your recommendation at staying in Begur on another thread made me research the town. I think you have me convinced about staying at the Hotel Aiguaclara- I love quirky and I love lots of good food and the little town sounds charming. My husband can do some paddle boarding if the weather is nice and we can go to the Dali museum, a place I have wanted to go to for years.
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 01:21 PM

Begur is my favorite relaxation spot! And you'll be within driving distance of the "Dalí Triangle"- his Museu-Teatre in Figueres, Gala's castle in Púbol and their home in Port Lligat.
If your husband is also interested in kayaking, there's a nice kayaking trip from Tamariú.
https://www.kayakingcostabrava.com/e...orth-half-day/

And the Sunday morning outdoor market in Palafrugell is terrific! And for gourmet products there's the Serra shop there on Plaça Nova, a Pastisseria, Xarcuteria and Celler, in business since 1904.

Great dining abounds in this area. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Old Oct 27th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for more info about the area. I was just scrolling through Instagram photos geo tagged Begur and the hotel you mentioned, Hotel Aigua Blava seems to come up a lot. Love that it is right on the water. Would you stay there rather than hotel Aiguaclara?
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 12:34 PM

Hi macdogmom,
In summer I've stayed at the Hotel Aigua Blava because of the sea views and the lovely salt water pool. But it gets a very loyal, repeat clientele that books their favorite rooms far in advance. So I would want to make sure of a room with full sea views (some have garden views), although the terrace has great sea views. And it's more expensive in high season. It also has family apartments.

The disadvantage here is the stiff half-board requirement for high season, since there are so many nice places to have dinner in the area other than the hotel.
For example, I really like the Toc Mar across the bay, right at the beach below the (temporarily closed) Parador, which has great seafood dishes and paella. It's a favorite of chefs as well.

Note from the Aiguablava hotel: "On the dates of June the 1st to September the 23rd, Junior Suite rooms or rooms with sea views, only Half Board accommodation allowed; however, rooms without sea views, and rooms overlooking the garden could choose Bed and Breakfast basis."