Staying at Versailles questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally posted this on the Europe board. I realize now that I wanted it on the France board. So, I'm reposting to see if there's anymore input. Thans!

Message: We are going to France and because of credit card points, we will be staying at Versailles. Needless to say, I have a few quesions...
1. I 'm thinking a taxi shuttle will be the best way to get from CDG to Versailles. I've seen a company called taxi-paris. Any suggestions? The price for the 5 of us looks to be around 90 E.
2. Are there many cafes or restaurants around Versailles?
3. What about transportation around Versaille, is there a bus or is it walkable?
4. What's the best method of transportation into Paris, and about how long will it take?
5. Anything else not to be missed?

Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 07:47 AM
ira

Hi Elaine,

There is only the Europe board.

You can find all of your posts by clicking on your name.

For Versailles/Paris you take the RER C.
You need the "Rive Gauche" line if you will be near the Chateau.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 07:47 AM

If you are going to be sightseeing in Paris every day, you will want to buy a Zone 1-4 Carte Orange to get from and to Versailles. As CDG is also in Zone 4, your airport transport will then be free of cost.

Spend the extra €150 on a nice gift for your friends.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My husband just posed this thought: Would it be worth it to rent a car? How difficult is driving in Paris? What about parking?
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM

DON"T rent a car to drive to Paris. Even for "points" don't stay in Versailles--unless you just want to "experience" that part of France.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Gretchen -

Give reasons.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 03:37 AM

elaine123, I'm curious which credit card provides points to stay ONLY in Versailles (or please explain your situation). I've been to Versailles only once. It looks like a lovely town and does have a few restaurants and such, but staying in Versailles to see Paris is somewhat equivalent to staying in Tarrytown to see NYC (only the commute from Versailles is longer). On your other thread Robespierre mentions the train ride is 82 minutes.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

The card is an American Express Starwood car. I need 2 rooms for 4 nights each. The other hotels available are either at the airport or 32,000 more points than I have. We're taking our children and grandmother; thus the need for 2 rooms. My husband has never been to Versailles and is looking forward to the visit. Believe me, I've struggled with the alternatives. The hotel looks luxurious and at the price, I feel like a little inconvenience is actually worth it. After our 4 nights in Paris, we're off to somewhere in Provence (that part is still in the planning) for a week. I know we'll miss out on some of the feel of Paris, but I feel like for our situation (kids & grandma) we'll be fine.
I do appreciate the input; however. Any other suggestions?
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 04:46 AM
ira

Hi elaine,

>How difficult is driving in Paris?
Traffic is almost as chaotic as in Rome.

>What about parking?
There are garages all over town.

However, why pay to rent a car and then pay to have it sit in the garage?

I suggest you follow Robespierre's advice.

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:32 AM

elaine123,

I've stayed at the Trianon Palace and it's not within walking distance of a train station - you will need to take a cab to and from the station each time. In addition, the A13 highway to Paris is a congested nightmare almost round the clock, so driving yourself is out as well.

It's a fun stay if you want to spend some time relaxing and exploring the Chateau more in depth, but NOT recommended if you want to see Paris

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:35 AM

P.S. Why not split your nights 3/1 or 2/2 between Versailles and Paris?

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:39 AM

Just to make myself clear: I mean 2/3 nights in Paris, 1/2 nights Versailles

Andre
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:06 AM

1. A shuttle would probably be the best considering the number of people you have. I would not do the RER because it is a pain with luggage. Alternately you could find a larger taxi (minivan) that could accomidate you. There is a person at the airport taxi stand that will guide you to the correct taxi and help you with taxi size.

2. Yes there are cafes and restaurants around Versailles within walking distance assuming you are staying at the Trianon Palace.

3. There is a bus network about Versailles but you could probably walk depending on how much walking the people in your group can do. It is a fairly compact city center.

4. Assuming you are staying at the Trainon Palace the fastest way to get to Paris would be via the Versailles Rive Droit SNCF Train Station, about an 8 minute walk from the hotel. NOTE: Versailles has THREE stations so do pay close attention to the name. The train from the Rive Droit station goes to Gare St Lazare in the heart of paris direct and takes 35 minutes. From there you can transfer to the metro. Alternately, You could leave from Versailles Rive Gauche RER station which will take you into Paris on the RER C which is very centrally located. I would expect a 15 to 20 minute walk to that station. There could be a bus but you would need to ask at the hotel. The ride into paris would be about 45 minutes on the RER C.

5. My 2 cents is that it really would be a pain to stay out here if you plan to see Paris. You have a serious commute in and out. If you go into Paris then you wouldnt want to go back out to Versailles till the end of the day either before or after dinner. So from say 9 am to 5 pm you are out in the city on your feet with only cafe's or restaurants for rest. Thats something to consider.

If your budget does not allow then you have no choice. Otherwise, why not use your points on one room within the city and pay for the other? Of course if you intend to do a full two day visit of the ins and outs of Versailles then it would not be bad to stay there.

As far as a car is concerned: Expect wicked traffic from around 7AM to 10 AM and from 4 PM to 8PM. During those times it could take anywhere from 1h15 minutes to 2 hours to get into the city. If there is a bad accident you could be caught in traffic for up to 4 hours. If you arrive in the city by 7 am and leave no earlier than 8 pm it would be more like 40 minutes. So I would say a car would be a poor choice.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:15 AM

MorganB: is it really only an 8 min walk to Versailles R.D. station? I recall it as being quite a bit farther than that... That said, we did take a cab since we had luggage, so perhaps I overestimated the time it would take to walk.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:27 AM

Andre, I am looking at a map and comparing the time it takes me to walk from the RER station to Versailles chateux entrance to to the distance from the Trianon to the train station RD. Maybe it could take between 10 and 15 mins if you stroll rather than really move it. Its 1.1km from the hotel to the Versailles RD. Of course I am assuming that the Trianon Palace is right on the street and I suppose it could be surrounded by grounds. Just for comparison it's 1.9 km from the hotel to the RER Versailles Rive Gauche station.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Would we be in a better position to stay at the airport, or is this just as much trouble as staying at Versailles? And, by the way, the hotel is the Trianon Palace.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:03 AM

MorganB makes a very salient point about the traffic - and don't forget that the same traffic will affect your travel from and to CDG as well as commuting from Versailles. I think the Michelin driving time into Paris of about an hour is wildly optomistic. If you opt for surface transport from the airport, make sure it's at a flat rate, because if they charge for wait time, it could get ruinously expensive.

If I were doing it (and without knowing how flexible your hotel choice is), I'd take the RER and pick a hotel near Versailles-Rive Gauche.

<i>p.s.</i> My statement in the post above is not 100% accurate. A Carte Orange for Zones 1-4 will get you back and forth and all around, but CDG is in Zone 5, so you will need to pay a supplement to get you to Zone 4, where your CO will get you the rest of the way.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Okay, Trianon Palace it is. The RG station is about twice as far (maybe a mile) as the RD, but there are two factors you have to make your own judgement about:

1. The SNCF route from Rive Droite takes you into the St. Lazare station, whereas the RER from Rive Gauche goes right down the Seine to the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Louvre.

2. If you get an RATP pass like Carte Orange or Mobilis, it will let you use the entire network, but I don't think they cover the SNCF suburban trains.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Both Mobilis and Carte Orange cover the non-RER SNCF trains (such as Versailles RD to St. Lazare) as well.

BTW, the Pages Jaunes site shows the hotel to be a 16 min., 1.1 km walk from the Versailles RD station - less than I remembered, but still a good stroll.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:28 AM

Elaine, I suppose the airport is a bit closer in but there is nothing at the airport to appreciate. Its basically very ugly around the airport and you would not find any place to eat unless you have a car. If I had to chose between the airport and Versailles I would pick Versailles just because it is a nice upscale community and has some charm. It's just a pit around the airport unless you go farther afield and the Starwood hotels are right on top of the airport. It takes about 35 - 40 minutes to get into the city from the RER station in the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -