Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Staying 4 Nights in Provence -- Which Hotel to Serve as Base?

Old May 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Provence August 13-16, then taking the TGV back to Paris on the 17th for a flight home on the 19th. I have Stu's itinerary for some driving tours, and am wondering about a good place to stay as a base. We like to stay in nice places, want a place that will give us a real feel for the Provence culture, and are willing to spend up to 300EU per night. We will have a car, so we can stay outside of a town, and are willing to break it up into 2 different bases if that makes more sense. I am finding that some of the good ones in St Remy recommended here are already booked. For point of reference, we'd like to see St. Remy, Les Baux, Uzes, Aix, Lourmarin, Bonnieux, Gordes, I'sle, and then also up into The Dentelles. (Husband would also like to check out villages along the Var River, but I don't know if that is too ambitious.) We do not have TGV tickets yet, so we are flexible about where we come in and out of on the train.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM

topping
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM

CarolineM,
Is Le Mas des Carasins in St. Remy already filled?
It and the Hostellerie Le Roy Soleil in Menerbes in the Luberon were our two choices (after doing exhaustive research here) for a two week stay last summer until a friend invited us to use her rented Mas.

We also saw the Hotel Le Benvengudo in Les Baux which looked lovely.

Also the two other Chateaux Hotels of France properties in St. Remy:
Domaine de Bournissac and
Domaine de Valmouriane
Both were beyond our limit but may fit yours of 300 per night.

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM

Another luxury option outside St Remy:
Hostellerie du Vallon de Valrugues, a 4 star Relais de Silence,
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Regalido in Fontveille.
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM

A favorite of mine.......
http://www.riboto-de-taven.fr/
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes, sadly Le Mas des Carasins in St. Remy is filled. Thank you so much for the suggestions.It seems as though many of them are still available, and I will sort though the websites to see what might be best for us. Also, anyone know anything about La Bastide de Gordes?
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:43 PM

Riboto! great, nice couple who run it!!!
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:09 PM

La Bastide de Gordes looked fabulous but well beyond our budget, so we didn't investigate further.

Another in St. Remy from our list of possibilities:
Chateau des Alpilles

Another in Les Baux:
Mas de l'Oulivie

After two weeks between St Remy and Les Baux, we came to love this area. It was a perfect location for touring.

You have a wonderful list from which to choose.
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM

Another Ribot fan here in Les Baux. The couple the run it are grea and the restaurant is great for foodies. Also, on another subject, we really liked picking up our car at the new Avignon TGV station-because it is not in the middle of the city-so much easier in and out without having to deal with "city" driving firs and last thing before the train.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:48 PM

The Domaine de Valmouriane is very nice, with extensive grounds and a gorgeous pool. The hotel has a gated parking lot, useful in this part of Provence.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Seriously considering Riboto. Is it worth the extra $ to stay in the troglodyte suite? It looks fantastic in the photos.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:15 AM

The troglodyte rooms at the Riboto are great - especially in August ! They stay cool and the view up to Les Baux after dark is wonderful.
Christine and Philippe are wonderful hosts.. and good friends of ours. (I stayed in one of the troglodyte rooms - at the time, they were the only rooms the Riboto had -while the new roof was put on my house here in Maussane.)

The dinners are wonderful as well. The Riboto was a one star Michelin restaurant for many years until they turned it in and became a country inn sort of place. Great pool too.

You wil be here over a big holiday (August 15th) so there will be lots of people around and festivals going on in Maussane and other villages.

Patricia
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

OK. I am still waiting to hear back on availability, but I am thinking of splitting the time so that we can try out 2 places. Hoping for 2 nights at Riboto in Le Baux and 2 nights in Gordes (either at Las Bastide de Gordes or La Mas de Garrigon). Sound good? Given these locations, is it better to take the TGV from Paris to Avignon or to Aix? We will be renting a car after the train.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM

You will like Riboto. I even make trips from Villefranche-sur-Mer just to spend a weekend there. A very favorite spot of mine. Please say hello to Christine and Phillipe for me.
Joan Grace
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:23 PM

Caroline,
Les Baux and Gordes are two of my favorite places in Provence, so I think you've chosen well. Les Baux can be crazy, so by staying there you give yourself the chance to walk around before/after the crowds have left. I think TGV to Avignon is best if you are headed for Les Baux first; TGV to Orange would work for Gordes.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM

Wouldn't Avignon be closer to Gordes than Orange?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM

I thought Les Antiques in St.Remy just delightful and well located was great. I also think that 300€, especially in Provence, while it might give you a lovely place,does not mean it gives you a feeling of the desired culture. Possibly the opposite.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM

Yes Avignon is closer to Gordes than Orange.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all this advice. I've become addicted to checking back for more.

Bigal, I have certainly considered your comment, and am trying to be sure not to fall into that problem. I do not want to lose the "real" experience by going over the top with the luxury. Just want to find nice places. (DH and I don't get away from our 4 kiddies very often!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -