Stay near the Eiffel Tower or Lourve?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would luv to stay somewhere with views of the Eiffel Tower but my travelling friend wants to stay near the Lourve.

Where would you stay?

Can anyone recommend somewhere in either location for between 100 and 150 euro a night double?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:53 AM
ira

Hi B,

It will make you search easier if you spell it "Louvre".

How close to either do you want to be - 0.1 km, 0.5 km, 1.0 km...?

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:02 AM

i stayed at the 2 star palais royal behnd the louvre ( a couple blocks) and directly next to the charming gallerie vivienne, or 90 euros incl tax and breakfast in february.

great location.

i used many websites but in this case www.gtahotels.com gave me a much better rate than hotel itself. ( i even called them)

good luck.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:02 AM

The Eiffel Tower isn't very central and the area around it is pretty un-interesting.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:15 AM

Hi

We stayed at the Royal Phare Hotel in the 7th district around the corner from the Eiffel. No Eiffel views but nice night views of the Invalides. If your friend realy, really wants the Eiffel view go for it. I would stay in the Latin Quarter next time (near the Louvre). But the metro is so good that it doesn't really matter.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I didn't know how "busy" the area around the eiffel tower was and if its a bit out of the way i'd rather stay somewhere a bit more busier and central.

but im finding it hard to give up the view. anywhere up to 5 km away is fine by me as long as i can see the thing from my room!

& yes my apologies my spelling is not great!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:13 AM

My daughtere and I stayed at the Relais Bosquet, (a small hotel where we found the desk help very nice) near the Eiffel Tower in the 7th. One of my favorite memories of that trip was looking out the window for a view of the moon and the Eiffel Tower in the background. The hotel is only a block or 2 from the metro Station so we found it no problem to get around. I really liked the area. Also near to where you can get on the boat to go down the Seine. Rue Cler market is near the hotel where there is a market. A great bakery with pastrie on the corner. Check the hotel out on Trip Advisor.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:30 AM

The Eiffel Tower is in the 7th arr. It is an excellent area to stay in..my favorite area, and where I generally stay. Many of your sightseeing places and excellent restaurants.

Enjoy.......
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:37 AM

We stayed in the 7th, at Hotel Champs du Mars. From our room we could see the Eiffel Tower, which is lit up at night, and really beautiful to see. We are returning to Paris this June, and are staying at the same hotel. Price for a double room is 85 Euros, they are all individually decorated, a very quaint small hotel, and around the corner is Rue Cler, which is a market street with lots of bakeries, fresh fruits, etc. We found this to be a great area to stay, and quite safe to walk at night.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:54 AM

I've been to Paris a few times, and everytime there, I've stayed near the Eiffel Tower, at the Hotel Capitol, on Rue Vialle, close to the Dupliex Metro stop. The reason why I chose this, in my opinion, is great. On quite a few nights, we would stroll over to the Tower, which is lit up spectacturlally at night, and just sit, relax from the day's adventures, and people watch and enjoy the fabulous aura of the Tower and the magic of the site. It's a fantastic place to sit, converse and just hang around at night. It's also a very, very safe area. I remember one guy making a lot of noise. Policemen came from out of nowhere instantaneously, and just grabbed the guy under his arms and whisked him away. No fuss, no bother, just quick action. I guess the Parisiens value their Tower, and want to keep it safe.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:57 AM

We just returned from Paris and I agree w/ the fellow traveler who says there's not much going on near the Eiffel Tour. It's safe but not conveniently located to many other desireable destinations. I would recommend staying near the Louvre or even Notre Dame. We actually rented a beautiful 2 br apt. near Notre Dame for 800 euros for 7 nights. Check out www.lodgis.com There are many apt options for very reasonable prices. I suggest staying in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th (my personal favorite)
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:33 AM

Bresh23:

If this is your first trip to Paris, I can understand how you might want a view of the Eiffel Tower and stay in the 7th. I do think, however, you might find it ultimately more satisfying in the 6th, which is livelier and reasonably convenient to the Louvre. (Just how close to the Louvre does your friend have to be? Camping, perhaps, next to the Pyramid?)

I’ve stayed at the Hotel du Champ de Mars as well and did have a somewhat tortured view of the Tower (head stuck out of window at strange, uncomfortable angle), but I found the district, finally, a little too residential and, well, dull. (Though I did spot Roman Polanski racing for a taxi, which, of course, might not give you a rush.)
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:58 AM

The VIIe is "...not conveniently located to many other desireable destinations."

Neither is anywhere else. But since you can get from virtually any historic/cultural site to another in 15 minutes by train, that simply doesn't matter. In addition to the Eiffel Tower, the Trocadéro, Invalides, Rodin, and Orsay are within a few minutes' walk of Métro École Militaire, and a ten-minute bus ride will bring you to the Arc de Triomphe, Opéra or Luxembourg Gardens. Use other criteria than proximity for making your selection.

Where would I stay? In Antony, where €139 will buy a two-room suite.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:12 AM

I would like to stay, if it would be possible in the center of Place de Concorde!!
We prefer to be near Louvre, some years ago we stayed at Monpensier and this year we shall stay at Prince Albert. Boyh of them very close to Louvre and ~ 100 E.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:21 PM

I'd rather stay in the Marais area "behind" the Louvre than in the area of the Tower. Much livelier and atmospheric (but of course that's just an opinion)unless you plan to stand at your window looking at the tower day and night from your close up hotel room in the 7th.

You can't really lose. It's Paris!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the information I will trawl through all the hotels mentioned. I have started looking further afield to Montematre, the Latin Quarter and even Notre Dame.

Yes its quite obvious its our first trip to Paris (its only a part of our 6 weeks away) & i guess we will return for another trip & so can afford to stay somewhere more livelier than right on top of the tourist attractions!

So many hotels.. too many options. I have used this article as a reference http://travel.guardian.co.uk/article...e#more-article
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:52 PM

Check your dates on Hotwire. The Hilton Paris has been available for a ridiculously low rate.

No matter where yous stay, you'll want to go all over, which can be easily accomplished with the Metro, or city buses, which we prefer.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

I've never heard of hotwire.

Is it just www.hotwire.com?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

I just checked out hotwire.

Its a little concerning that you don't find out the hotel until you have booked!

Is it reliable? the 4 star hotel in champs elysees for $149 a night sounds great but I want to know which hotel it is first!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

For assistance in determining hotels offered on Hotwire, go to www.betterbidding.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -