stay near Gare d'Austerlitz?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a wonderful forum! I've researched past messages but still need help. Please bear with my rambling.

We are going to the Dordogne in June (will rent bikes there for a 9-day self-tour). Arrive CDG after about 14 hours of travel. I know we have to get to Gare d'Austerlitz for another 5 hour train ride. The cab sounds expensive so we thought we'd take RER to St. Michel to RER C to Austerlitz (as Michael mentioned in one of his posts).

We know we'll be exhausted but thought we could sleep on the 5 hour train ride. Just want to get to Gourdon, our destination, and then crash there.

On the return however, it seems wise to overnight in Paris to get to the airport for a morning flight. Should we stay near Gare d'Austerlitz (where?). I've checked paris.org for hotels near the train station but I'd appreciate hearing from you all.

Okay, to make things complicated, should we stay in Paris on our arrival and return (maybe at the Hotel des Trois Colleges I've read about on the forum). We'd love to visit the Latin Quarter but worry about getting to
our flight on time.

Thanks!

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 09:15 AM

I fly into Paris and take trains to the Dordogne from the Gare d'Austerlitz several times a year, and I have to tell you, you do not want to take the RER after an all-night flight and before a 5-hour train ride. Spend the money for a taxi unless you are really, reallyt pinching pennies.

On the way back, I'd stay at a hotel near where you want to sightsee. The area around the Gare d'Austerlitz isn't bad, but it's not great, either, or very central. It wouldn't be any easier getting to CDG from the Gare d'Austerlitz area than from the Latin Quarter.

By the way, have you checked into taking the TGV right from the airport to Bordeaux and connecting to Gourdon from there?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you StCirq. I find your postings most helpful.

I tried to research the TGV routes on voyages-sncf.com but there are several Bordeaux choices as a destination. I'll keep digging.

Since you've traveled to the Dordogne, any advice regarding the weather in June? It's a hilly area and we'll be biking for 7 days.

I'll look into accomodations in the Latin Quarter for our return.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I've spent 8 out of the past 11 Junes in the Dordogne, and it has ranged from three solid weeks of rain and cold to blissfully warm. On average, though, I'd say it gets into the mid-70s in the afternoons but dips at night enough so you need a sweater or jacket. We routinely use our fireplace in the evenings in June, but are in shirtsleeves during the day.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Je vous remercie (I just learned this today, so I hope it's appropriate).