Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Wengen or lauterbrunnen May 24-26..Please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all and thank you in advance for your help.

I have asked in a couple of separate posts recommendations about staying either in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen...

I thought I had finally made up my mind about staying in Wengen, but I found a couple of posts where some people are under the impression that things are not yet very alive around the end of May, as a matter of fact the Tourism office is not even open at that time.

Considering the dates of stay will it still be ok to stay in Wengen or would you recommend Lauterbrunnen instead?

I have reservations in both towns. Another question is, I am planning in communicating with hubby at home via internet/Skype.... will I find wireless internet in Wengen?

Thank you so very much!!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM

Hi travellover36,

Yes, I would still stay in Wengen -- those views from your hotel balcony will not be closed, lol!!

My hotel (Alpenrose) had hifi that I could access with my laptop.

Have fun!

s
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:57 AM

Lauterbrunnen is only a few-minute rail ride from Wengen (only way there) if it has WI-FI and Wengen don't - i'd bet they do
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:06 AM

Sorry, yes, I meant "wifi" not hifi!!

s
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM

For a short visit I think Wengen would be marginally better.

I rent an apartment in Lauterbrunnen for a week or more, but I always visit Wengen.

It is a pleasant place, well positioned, and car-free except for electrically power carts.

May is a down month often in those higher villages because it is post ski season but pre summer.

The good part is that the trains to Kleine Scheidegg will be running with the option to continue on to the Jungfraujoch and the crowds will be less.

For a great view, even if you do not walk very far, to as far as the Eigergletscher station which is up the hill from Kleine Scheidegg.

To the east, across the tracks, you will find the trail for the Eiger North Face. Even if you do not go very far, you will see quite a bit.

On the west side of the tracks, you can walk to some good views of the glacier coming off the Jungfrau.

I hope these trails are snow free by the end of May.

Temperatures in Grindelwald have been in the fifties for highs and high thirties for lows.

The Jungfraujoch itself still has temperatures below 20 at night and barely above freezing in the day.

There are good reasons why May is a down month!!

Lauterbrunnen will have a little more activity because of its larger permanent population, but not much.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

I did a swell walk down from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen - a real easy hike that took less than two hours (i was moving however) - on a wide non rocky path - even mountain bikers were blowing down it - kind of a track for small vehicles - anyway downhill the whole way and such scumptious views over the Lauterbrunnen Valley the whole way.

A great day of hiking, easy hiking from Wengen could entail taking the cableway up to Mannlichen (but may not be running in parts of May when maintenance is done i believe on some of these during what Bob explains what is the off season here)

Mannlichen is a celebrated lookout point - see both Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald valleys and down over Interlaken wedged onto an ithmus between its two lakes. Tremendous view and picnic spot - the do the famous easy ridge walk a few flat miles to Kleine Scheidegg - one of the easiest higher altitute walks in the area - even strollers i've seen doing it.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM

That walk from Kleine Scheidegg downward along the track is quite nice. I remember doing it one day years ago.

We had a beautiful view and one interesting observation.

A Swiss dairy farmer was "putting" his cows in the barn for milking.
The farmer did little more than stand there and wave his arms while a dog did the real work. This herding dog was all over the place, nipping at the heels of the laggards, and generally bunching the bossies all together.

One old cow kept swinging her horns at the dog, who simply danced out of the way and gave her a nip on the heel for her trouble. I got the impression that these two had been adversaries for many years.

At any rate, this walk is pretty and downhill.

IF the cable way from Wengen to the crest of the Männlichen is running, by all means go up there. The views are absolutely fantastic, incredible.

The ridge towers over the floor of the valley by about 4,500 feet, more in some places. From my window in Chalet Horner in Lauterbrunnen I can see the Männlichen quite clearly looming to the east. If I look 90 degrees right, I can see the Jungfrau, and at 110 degrees, the Breithorn. (I wonder how many Breithorns there are in Switzerland.)

I know that the night is clear when I can see the signal light on the top of the cable car station high atop the ridge.