Stay all week in London?

Search

Stay all week in London?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay all week in London?

We're going to do a 3 week trip next year to Europe. We plan on spending a week in the UK, France and one other country. During our UK leg, should we just plan on spending all week in London and branching out from there? I know we aren't going to see it all in one week so I figure there's no use trying. The only things I know I want to se in London are the "Tower of London" and the War Museum.

I found a 2 bedroom flat/apartment/rental in Kensington on VRBO that I really like but they only do weekly rentals.

If we did (4) days in London, where else might be the hot ticket to go for the other (3) days? Should we try and do a quick hit in Ireland or Scotland?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:17 PM

I'm the wrong person to ask because I usually spend 3 weeks in London. A week isn't long & there are plenty of day side trips you could do, such as to Windsor/Eton, Greenwich, etc.

You might check with the flat owners. You might get lucky & fill a gap between bookings for them if you choose to stay just 4 days.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Neopolitan

I think you would indeed be wise to rent the apartment for the week and stay there. Do maybe two day trips out for a "taste" of the countryside. There are dozens of posts you can search for "London day trips".

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I think Scotland and Ireland are far to go.

To take advantage of the apartment, you might think of day trips out of London, to places like Stonehenge or Hampton Court (you can take a boat down the Thames to get to it). Or you might think of overnighting in Brighton. But there is lots to do within easy range of London, and you won't have to schlepp all your luggage, etc.

By the time you get over your jet lag, and given the likelihood of at least some rain, you might find 6 days in London is not as long as you think.

Hope you will all find time to go to a play at the New Globe theatre.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. That's what I assumed. I've always read that there is stuff to keep you busy for months in and around London. I'll plan on staying put the entire time then.

I've read good things about the Kensington and Knightbridge areas? Anybody care to comment about either?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Those are good areas. If you can give the address of your flat, then it will be easy to tell if it's near grocery stores, tubes, buses, etc. My main concern is that you be relatively near public transport.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Doesn't really list an address...says it's at/in "iverna Gardens". That may be the name of the apartments or area? It states tat it is 2 minutes from High Street and the underground, 5 minutes from Hyde Park and Kensington Palace.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Iverna Gardens is a little street just off Kensingtom High Street and VERY close to the tube station. It is a great area.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

That's good to hear. I need to e-mail the owner to see how far in advance they take reservations. It must be a nice enough place & location since it appears booked 95% of the time.

Thanks you!!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:54 PM

The apartment rental sounds like a good idea. If you want to branch out, you caqn always take day trips from there.

Carolena
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:02 PM

That is very close to where I live when I go to London--On Ken High street is a M&S and a Waitrose for groceries--there is another supermarket but I cannot rememeber the name. I think there is so much to do in London that you won't be bored staying there for the whole time. You can go to the theatre and to the markets. From that flat you can walk to Kensington Palace. And there are some great small museums right in your neighborhood and Holland Park. Also nearby is the V&A. I have spent spent the past five summers there--and I still have so much to see! I find new stuff every summer.