Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Starting to plan a trip to Ireland...May or September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 10 day to 2 week trip to Ireland next year. we are thinking of going either in May or next September. Which time of year is better to go? We were thinking of flying into Dublin, driving to Galway for a few days and touring the ring of Kerry. Does this seem like a good itinerary for first time visitors?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Our last 3 trips were at the end of May. It's a great time of the year and we have been lucky with temps aroud 70 degrees.

Do you really feel the need to go to Dublin? I would fly in/out of Shannon, do Galway and the Southwest Peninsulas. Enough to see in that area over 10 days to 2 weeks.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM
CU

Nice to see that you are thinking of visiting us. May is a great time to come, everything is in bloom and the days are long and warm.
I see that you are thinking of hitting towards Kerry, just read that Emlagh House Hotel, Dingle, Co. Kerry won the AA Guest Accommosation of the Year. Congrats to them.
Anyway for your holiday go and have a look at www.goireland.ie
Fly into Dublin tour over towards Galway on down the west coast by the Cliffs of Moher on down to the shannon ferry and into Kerry. Then to spare you going all the way back to Dublin return to Shannon via Adare and Limerick on to Bunratty Castle and its folk park and into Shannon.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

We are pretty much an open slate as far as this trip goes, and would welcome any ideas you may have.May sounded good to me, my husband is leaning more toward September. We have friends who have just come back from their honeymoon there, and thought their itinerary sounded promising! I have looked at the goireland.com's web site several times, but with not knowing what areas we should limit ourselves to I thought more research would be in order. I was in Dublin when I was about 12 for a few months, and there may have been a small part of me that thought it would be interesting to go back. I remember very little, other than the country was beautiful and I have always dreamed of coming back. And can you tell I'm a person who like to plan ahead? We just got back from Italy, and I'm already planning another trip! CU, I would be very interested in your perspective as to where to spend our time, since you are a native!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM

We went last Sept. and had horribly rainy weather, as we got the last of hurricane Francis as it went along the gulf stream. I don't know if this is usual or if Ireland got any of this year's hurricanes. Don't know if this should be a consideration, but rain in Ireland is always a good possibility. We still had a good time and plan to return before too long
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I have been to Ireland twice. Once in September and once in May. We were lucky both times about the weather--but it can be chancy. I think I like May better. I would either go in to Dublin and out of Shannon or just go through Shannon and stay on the west coast and south. (Also, getting out of Dublin airport is tough-- Shannon is easier) Some things to think about: The most fun and the most common are very narrow twisting roads--30 to 40 miles a day is a lot. Upgrade to an automatic car. even if you are use to a stick shift, remember that it will be on your left side and it can be difficult to adjust to driving on the other side. Automatic is one less thing to think about.
If you are into scenery the west and south are the places to be. Our first trip which started in Dublin (Newgrange a must see ) headed south to Glendalough, Kilkenny and Cashel, and the to Killarney up to Galway past the Barrens and the Cliffs of Moher. And finished out of Shannon. Plan on staying some places at least 2 nights--you'll need the rest . Also--very important--try not to go during a Bank Holiday a lot of places will be booked. Hope this is helpful.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
CU

When I go on holidays I go to see places not just a glimpse here and there. You have to realise that no matter what you do there will be places that you will miss. If you are planning on staying in Dublin for a few days there is no need to book a car as the transport is very good. Go on the hop on and hop off tour of the city. Then you will see all that is important to see.New to Dublin is the Spirit of Docklands boat which is a new 2 million boat which cruises on the Liffey pointing out all the historical places.
Deciding to move on you can now consider hiring a car sparing yourself two or three days car hire.
Another alternative is to go to the bus depot in Dublin and from there you will find many day tours which cost appox. E20 per tour.(www.visitdublin.com)
There is a good road to Galway but you may be held up in traffic as you go through the towns that have not a by-pass (www.galwaytourism.ie)
I think a day or two would be enough in Galway. On down to Clare (www.clareguidealive.com) Beautiful county - Cliffs of Moher- Lahinch - Kilkee and on to the Tarbert car ferry for the short crossing to Co. Kerry (www.kerry-tourism.com)
Back towards Limerick visiting Adare - Limerick (www.LIMERICK.COM)and on towards Shannon stopping off at Bunratty Castle and folk park not forgetting to drop in to Durty Nellies for a drink. A quick run across the road for that forgotten gift at the Blarney Wollen Mills (www.blarney.ie)
Then on into Shannon for the flight home and as the plane tunders down the runway and lifts into the skies remember you have seen a lot but there is so much more so come back to visit again.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 01:17 AM

Been to Ireland in May (3-times) and Sep (twice). Maybe I was just lucky but both Sep trips I had excellent weather especialy for golfing. One of my May trips (2000?) there was a heat wave and County Cork had thunderstorms with hail (very unusual). Most recent May trip (2003) I postponed my Carne Golf Links (Belmullet, Co. Mayo) visit because of a driving rainstorm: it was Cold and wet.

2001, I was in west Clare in September at the time of Lisdoonvarna's Matchmaking festival. I was staying in Miltown Malbay, golfing at nearby Spanish Point Golf Links.

In 2004 we went at the end of February because of AerLingus' great airfares.

In 2003, I made it down to Ennis for the final days of the Ennis (Co. Clare) Spring Trad music and dance festival (last week of May). I had to stay at Abbey Tourist Hostal: all the hotels and B&B's were fuly booked. If you're interested in that sort of thing, May might be your best bet. There's a Bank Holiday toward the end of May - that seems to be the 'kickoff' for Ireland's Summer tourist season.

Galway also seems to come to life about that time of year: afternoon Trad Irish music in several pubs in the Pedestrian area weekends.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Terrific suggestions! Does hurricane season affect Ireland much? I know that would be a big factor for my husband, we have spent the last two September's in Florida because of great airfares, but my husband enjoyed himself much less because he was constantly worrying about hurricanes ruining our trip. I promised him this year we would go someplace where that wasn't a consideration! If that IS the case, then we will definitely go in May!
CU- Your response was so visual, I could see myself there already! Would you recommend staying a few days in Dublin, or would we be better served getting more into the countryside? I would be happy spending more time in a few locations rather than skimming over several locations...thanks! Bevief-thanks for the suggestions, you've given me more research ideas! The more I think about it the more I like the idea of flying into Dublin and out of Shannon. Oh, where do I research when Bank holidays are? Thanks also NEDSIRELAND, for your input. All of this helps immensely! I'm sure I will be asking countless other questions over the next few months, I hope you will all be patient with me! I have one other almost sacreligious question, what does one drink in Ireland if she doesn't like beer???
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:12 AM

heymo, you can find so much information from books such as Fodor's, Lonely Planet, Frommer's and many more. You will find out about when the bank holidays are and much more. I would do some reading and you have this forum for more questions. I've been in May and September. Really I think September was better that year. April was a great month this year. You'll have a good time whenever you go.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:36 AM

We really enjoyed our visit to Irelandin September 2003. We just did a long weekend, flying in and out of Shannon. It's quite easy from there. Ring of Kerry is amazingly beautiful. Lots of wonderful bed and breakfasts along the south coast. Waterford has a hidden jewel of a restaurant--Dwyer's. It's pretty easy driving, but allow yourself double the time between destinations, as traffic does not flow quickly, and there aren't many passing places! Sea View House, in Balleylickey, was our favorite stay, and wished we'd booked for longer than one night!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 02:13 PM

<< Thanks also NEDSIRELAND, for your input. All of this helps immensely! I'm sure I will be asking countless other questions over the next few months, I hope you will all be patient with me! I have one other almost sacreligious question, what does one drink in Ireland if she doesn't like beer??? >>

Wines are popular in Ireland: Once, at Locke's Restaurant & Pub on George's Quay in Limerick City, I was having a Carvery lunch and was given a small bottle of Chilean wine: I guess Chilean wines were just coming into the Irish marketplace. Wines from other EU Countries (Italy, France, Spain & Portugal) are still pretty expensive.

Or you can drink Cider (Bulmer's) or a a 'Shandy' (a mixture of lemonade & beer). I guess it depends on your taste: wine, lemonade, cider or whatever ...

I don't think you need to worry about Hurricanes in Ireland, although there are some pretty rough Atlantic storms during the late fall & winter montha (Nov - Mar).

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 03:02 PM
CU

Me again. Could I suggest www.ireland.ie/getting_around.asp
For a drink try a pint of the black stuff, very popular (www.guinness.com)and(www.beb.ie)
No matter where you go you will have plenty to see and do. Once you have taken the hop on and hop off tour in Dublin you have seen what is to be seen. You can then go on a bus tour of lovely Wicklow 'the garden of Ireland.' The trouble with Ireland is that there is so much choice in that when you put in one thing you have to leave out another.
We have no hurricans only a gentle breeze, sunshine and a warm smile to greet you. Sure if we have not that we will have rain and a warm smile to greet you.
Here is an Irish toast:
'May you be poor in misfortune
Rich in blessings
Slow to make enemies
Quick to make friends
But rich or poor,quick or slow,
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward'

Slan agus beannacht oraibh go leir.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. CU, I have a feeling you could sell sand in the desert! (and that's a great quality!)I have a feeling my husband may win out and September will be the month we travel. But I am already armed with one book on travel to Ireland, and all these wonderful suggestions to help me plan our route. I know how I will be spending cold Michigan winter evenings... curled up with glass of wine and all my research! Thanks also for the tips about alternatives to beer...my husband has been trying to convert me to becoming a beer drinker for years! I don't mind a pint of Cashels every once in awhile, when I can find it. I may have to break down and try a Guiness!
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM

I am a frequent visitor to Ireland. We have experienced Ireland during nearly all phases of her weather, including snow in the Magillicuddy Reeks. Although inclimate weather anywhere is usually not for the faint of heart, it doesn't seem so bad while traveling Ireland. To truly experience Ireland one has to accept whatever weather she chooses to dish out.

Our first adventure to Ireland was early March 2000. The weather was absolutely perfect! During our 3 week stay we experienced a slight shower one morning. That was the only precipitation encountered. Temperatures were for the most part around the high 60's to low 70's.. 'twas great!! There was an early bloom that year so we were blessed with many different flowers and trees in full bloom.

In the years following we have generally come a little later, toward the end of March and early April - alas, the weather was much cooler, more rain and wind (and of course the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001). Nonetheless Ireland graciously opened her welcoming arms to us and gave us yet a better experience each time than the last.

We are currently planning our next trip to Ireland - and this time, at the urging of friends and relatives, we will be giving a two week tour beginning the latter part of April through mid-May. After giving the tour and sending our guests homeward bound we will spend the next three weeks relaxing at our cottage in Co. Mayo.

My advice to you first-timers, go in May. Chances are you'll see Ireland waking up from her winter nap ready to share the fresh beauty of her flora with you. I see others have suggested staying to the west - flying in and out of Shannon - truly a good suggestion. Dublin IS NOT self drive friendly. Manageable, but quite an insane adventure. The DART and other public transportation works extremely well around Dublin. If you're into the history of Ireland's struggle for indenpendance then Dublin is a must. If you're interested in seeing what you always thought Ireland looked like, as Greely said "Go west..." There is soooo much to do in Galway. A little west of Galway is Salthill, home of the Galleon Restaurant - YOU HAVE TO STOP THERE. They serve a steamed pudding dessert that'll knock your socks off. Take the one of the Rossaveal ferries over to Inishmore for an afternoon on the Aran Islands. Head directly to Killarney. There you can enjoy The Killarney Nat'l Park, Muckross attractions, Ring of Kerry, the Dingle tour, Torc Falls - that'll carve at LEAST two days out of your trip - three leisurely days would be better. Take a day and slip over to Blarney (1st timers HAVE to kiss "the stone&quot it's only about 60 miles. Cork and Cobh are in the neighborhood and have great sightseeing too.

Waterford isn't that much further and the crystal factory has a great tour. When you're ready to return (via Shannon) give yourselves enought time to spend a day at Bunratty Folk Park and castle. DO THE CASTLE BANQUET - it will bring all you've heard about Ireland together in a great evening of song, dance and food. Next door to Bunratty Castle is Durty Nellies... an old pub and big tourist attraction, but very, very far away from what you'll find in the authentic pubs of Ireland, but worth a visit none the less. If you're going to have a meal, however, go across the street to the Blarney Woollen Mills shopping mall - much, much better.

Ireland isn't a place you visit - it's a place you experience... Have a great time!!

Slante

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 02:55 PM
CU

I would not even try to sell sand to a desert but I have been known to have tried to sell feathers to a bird!!!
Enjoy your planning and if there is any questions just come back to us. Sure everyone says that I am as useful as a lighthouse in the middle of a bog.