Starnberger See and Dachau

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Patricia

Starnberger See and Dachau

Hi,
Husband and I will spend 3 days in Munich for the Oktoberfest this year. This is part of my 30th birthday celebration.
We've been in Munich before and we are planning two tours for those days (since we can arrive at Oktoberfest around 5pm and still have fun).

We are planning two trips:
- Dachau
- Starnberger See (boat ride)

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Patricia

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Dick Yeagerd

Patricia,

As far as I'm concerned, anyone going to Munich owes it to themselves to visit Dachau. It is just something that you should do, preferably in the morning. Then you have the afternoon to party and get happy.

Allow 2/3 hours from the S-Bahn station and return.

Dick

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Dick Yeager

How did that extra "d" get added to my last name???? It must the the Fodors famous Trolls!

Dick

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:33 PM
notsure

When you say "tours" do you mean organized. If so, in Dachau, I suppose it would be more informative than going it alone but I would find the time constraints at each place in the camp to be trying. If you are going it alone, you should probably count on purchasing their guide in your native language, unless you are very fluent in German. There are numerous documents on display that are quite interesting.. I didn't notice much(anything) in English. Count on spending around 2 or 3 hours at least. It is really amazing. We went on a drizzly day and the mood really was set. I thought it was much more touching than Auschwitz but maybe that was because Dachau was my first concentration camp.... in any case, it is an experience not to be missed. BTW, Prost and Happy Birthday!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Sue

Patricia,

At Dachau, there is a very interesting film in the auditorium and it is played in English also.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
CF

Yes, start with the moving, disturbing movie. We walked around without a guide and got along okay.
Be careful with your planning..... they are closed one day during the week..maybe...Monday???? Check a website or tour book so you aren't wasting your day and bus ride out there.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Patricia

Thanks for your replies.. Nothing about Starnberger See? I can find on the internet only information in German..
By the way.. we will be doing both 'tours' by ourselves.
Thanks again.
Patricia

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:55 AM
Paige

Just curious, why Starnbergersee? Have you been to the Koenigssee down by Berchtesgaden? It's farther away but a lot prettier. I live in Munich so if you need specific info, I might be able to help.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Patricia

Paige,
We picked this place because, on the book (Frommers) they said that it's 40 min by train and there is a nice boat ride where you can see some castles and beautiful places.. And also the Lake where King Ludwig was found dead..
We are looking for a nice place to go leaving the Hotel around 8:30 and coming back to the Oktoberfest by 4:00pm.
If you have other recommendation, it's welcome. As I mentioned before, I'm not being able to find lots of information in English (internet).
Thanks.
Patricia

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Dick Yeager

Patricia,

Here is the URL for Alta Vista, a translation website http://world.altavista.com/

Do a search on starnbergersee.de, copy the URL and paste it onto the Alta Vista home page for translation into about any language.

If that is a problem, email me with your correct email address. I will, in turn, email you the English language version.

My email address above is correct.

Dick