Stari Grad Dubrovnik

Jan 10th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Stari Grad Dubrovnik

After a long night of celebrating the New Year, we barely wake up in time to stroll around the city just before sunset. Today I think our situation is not an unusual one as the area around our apartment hotel is quiet and almost seems deserted at three in the afternoon. All of the restaurants and bars nearby are still closed but with lots of evidence left behind from last night's activities.

Walking towards the main area of the New Year celebration more life is evident as there is a small crowd out enjoying the city. At one of the city's gate we exit towards the waterfront and the views are simply stunning. The tranquil harbor in front of us is sprinkled with idle boats many of them seeming to be miniature toys.

We make our way along the perimeter of the walled city and look across the harbor to see a landscape that has been painted a soft and mellow orange from the sinking sun. Around one corner of the wall we see why our path is a popular one this time of the day.

With a beautiful seaside view with a few islands just off shore, we join others in watching the first official Stari Grad sunset of the New Year, 2015.

Back inside the city walls we pay a visit to the Dubrovnik Cathedral then set off on a walk around the city. Up a lengthy set of stairs we stop in at St Ignatius Church (1725) then stroll along narrow passages around the elevated inside perimeter of the city.

In one area we discover where Rudolph has sort of retired for the season but decide to take him out for a sleigh ride anyway. This works up an appetite for dinner at Pizzeria Tomato. A revisit to a tent area set up with local food vendors and for 20KN we are served a cup of Nadine Prikle covered with sugar and cinnamon.

With a warm delicious desert in hand we continue our walk around the city which has now really come to life. This time a sweet uplifting sound echos through the air and the now softly lit narrow city streets. The melody beckons us to it's origin but the mystery and listening to it from afar is so relaxing and soothing.

Our last night in Stari Grad Dubrovnik is one that leaves a great impression of this beautiful city that is already calling us to return.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTmuHZ3oDw
Jan 14th, 2015, 05:37 AM

I am enjoying reading your reports and watching the videos. Thanks for sharing them here.

We are still working on flights and connections. We reserved Royal Suites for one night but may need another night on our way back to the Split airport for departure.

We have rented a villa in Dubrovnik for our 11 nights in that area. So far, we are planning to visit the old town and area, do day trips along the coast and go to Montenegro.

We are looking forward to our visit!
Jan 14th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Marianna,

I know you are going to enjoy your time there... You can pick up my camera charger we left in Room 6.. (Just kidding, got another on ebay)

Would be interested in your take on the pizzas there.. we thought they were fantastic especially the veggie ones with eggplant.. yummy!

I am already planning another trip back that way in a week or so but going to Moldova... Tiraspol..

Although we drove we did not go to Montenegro because of time and the border crossing issues with a rental car...

Will watch for your TR
Jan 15th, 2015, 02:34 AM

DH will look into the border crossing issues and what he needs to get or do. I remember that was an issue a few years ago when we were in Trieste and were thinking of crossing the border.

Pizza- we love veggie pizzas and especially with eggplant! Something we enjoy doing in our travels is grocery shopping and cooking some of our meals. You can learn a lot while shopping for grocery items in small shops or larger ones.

As for Royal Suites on the front end of our trip, we have reserved 2 king bed rooms which we were told were quite spacious. For the end part, I was thinking of balcony rooms. I asked about it but have not heard back yet. Would you happen to know if those rooms are larger or smaller than others?

I will keep checking here for more reports and videos! Enjoy your travels!
Jan 15th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Marianna,

Wow, I can't believe you mentioned "Trieste" it is a place of fond memories for me from the first time I visited this area in the late 80's.

I understand border issues exist for Montenegro.. insurance, eco-tax, etc.. Good news, you can easily arrange day tours from Dubrovnik for about US$50 per person.

Less than 5 minute walk from Royal Suites is a small grocery store "Tommy" that is open until 9pm.

We don't cook while traveling but definitely make lots of stops at grocery stores. We think they give a good sense of the local culture more so than dining in a restaurant.

We had a balcony room which although fine for us was more on the normal to small size. The balcony did not offer a particularly great view but was nice enough to enjoy a glass of wine and the bitter cold. Maybe they have balconies on higher floors that would offer better views but not sure. Hotel is located in what seems to be a multi-use building.

Again, we found the staff to be helpful and accommodating but be prepared to pay in cash when you check out. We found this to be the preferred method of payment throughout Croatia and Bosnia.