Stansted transportation

Search

Stansted transportation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stansted transportation

Anybody know the best and cheapest way to get to Stansted from Lancaster Gate? Also we are leaving Stansted at 7:15 am on Easyjet. I know we need to be there at least 40 minutes prior to checkin, but like to get there earlier. How early do we need to leave London? Also, does anybody know the whole assignment deal with EasyJet? Is it like Southwest Airlines here in the US? Sorry for so many questions....
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:26 AM

The seating assignments are definately like Southwest.
I hear DO NOT BE LATE or you will not get on the plane.
Sorry, do not know the fastest, easiest and cheapest way.
Look into the greenline coach. Do a search for greenline.
Have a great trip!
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:45 AM

http://www.expedia.com/daily/guides/...TravelTips.asp
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:54 AM

For what I see you should look for the fastest way.
The Stanted Express train is not bad , but it leaves from Liverpool Street Station.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Isn't it nice to know the website?

http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/stansted/
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

I am fairly certain, from doing a little on line research, that the bus is the way to go, price wise. Has anybody ever used this service? Here is another silly question, and I only ask because I cannot find it easily on the the tube's website, do busses and the tube run 24 hours? I would think that they don't, but what do I know!! And if they do run that early, like 4:30 am, are they safe? I wouldn't dream of hopping on a subway in NYC at that time! Thanks for the answers thus far.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 01:15 PM

go to www.nationalexpress.com we used it from heathrow 19 pounds o/w approx 1hr 40 min they go from other points in london & uk, very good service
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Does the National Express bus stop at Lancaster Gate? Are you leaving on a weekday (important to know re rush hour traffic)? I have taken the National Express bus and I have seen passengers left behind because there were no seats - so make sure that you get an earlier bus than you think you require. Considering you should be at the airport 2 hours before check-in, that would probably mean a bus leaving before 4 AM - and I'm not sure that is even possible.

You have to be there more than 40 minutes prior to check-in - because check-in closes 40 minutes prior to departure. So if you are in the lineup, and it's 40 minutes to departure - you will be out of luck and you will be left at the window. (At least that is what I have heard of happening.)
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

We are leaving on a Monday morning. And coming back to London late Tuesday night, as to give us 2 days in Edinburgh. I am gonig to look into the express. I still think that the bus might be okay. Sure beats paying a whole lot for a driver.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Just checked the express that you mentioned. Not a bad price for roundtrip and they do leave early enough. How insane was I to pick the really early departure time! Boy, is my husband going to kill me when he sees the flight info!
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Luv2Travel :
London is safe .
Met Police control cameras are spread all around the city, inside tube and also on buses. You'll be really on the air during your staying there.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM

Luv2Travel
We are planning a similar trip to Stansted from London.
What have you found to be the best price?
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:28 PM

donnae national express is the cheapest, and you won;t get left behind if you pre book
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:02 AM

The tube does not run 24 hours a day. Check with the individual lines as to when their last train is. They restart at about 5 or 5:30am.

The sooner you check into Easyjet the better seat you will get. The lines will be really long and the planes often run late. All that said, it is one the best and cheapest ways to get around Europe.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Donna:
The Express is pretty cheap. There is also another bus that is cheap too. But I fear the problem will be getting to the Victoria station, since the time we need to leave is so early.
The other one might work out better because of the different stops:
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...6&AUID=967
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:43 PM

I would go for a car service, such as Ray Skinner's or Swiss Cottage Cars. You will need to be at the airport by 6 15 latest, which means leaving London by 5 if you go by public transport, and probably earlier. Not a good idea, and I am a supporter of public transport. Don't be late. Easyjet is ultra-strict on its cut off time.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:07 PM

A lot of people who get those ghastly early departure times actually arrive at Stansted by 10 PM the night before and sleep at the airport.

The link given above, http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...6&AUID=967 , is also for the National Express bus. (I thought it was for a different service.) You can also go straight to the original source at http://www.nationalexpress.com .

Another possibility would be to travel to the Stansted vicinity by bus the night before, stay at a nearby hotel, and then take a taxi in the early morning.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Is there any public trnasportation that would get me to the Victoria station in the wee hours of the morning (like 3:30-4:30am)? I don't recall seeing anyone mention this.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:07 PM

There are night buses - I think the N148 is one that serves Victoria. Check The transport for London site to make sure. But it will be a pretty deserted place at that time of the morning (except for the EasyEverything across the street - which is pretty busy around the clock)
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:38 AM

Ok, now MY question is this:

Is there any easy way to get from Gatwick to Stansted? Since most flights get into Gatwick between 7:00-10:00 am, then allowing an hour (or more) for customs and immigration, it would probably be going on noon before I'd leave Gatwick, The Easyjet cheapo flights leave Stansted in the afternoon. Can I get there from Gatwick in less than 3 hours? Or am I better off staying over night somewhere near Stansted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -