COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

St.Remy De Provence

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Peleg I

St.Remy De Provence

What To do 4 Days around St.Remy De Provance?First time in Provance...

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 01:07 PM
mimi taylor

There is so much to do, starting with THE ANTIQUITES and GLANUM old ruins on the outskirts of town. People watch at the Cafe des Artistes, and drive to the little venice of Provence, ILe sur la sorge that is one huge Flee market on Sundays and so many wonderful antique shops for every day.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 01:21 PM
PB

There is a lot to do around here... here's just some of what you can see and visit:

Arles - The Amphitheatre, St Trophime Cathedral and cloister, Roman Theatre, Constantine's Thermes , the Alyscamps (Christian necropolis)

on the road from Arles to Fontvieille - the Abbaye de Montmajour

Les Baux - visit the entire clifftop village - See the Cathedrale des Images, just outside of Les Baux.

St. Remy - Glanum (remains of a Roman village, built on the site of a Phoenician town), Les Antiques (commemorative Arch ), Saint-Paul de Mausole (convalescent home where Van Gogh painted some of his finest)

THings to do in the area - Horseback riding, rock climbing, hiking and walking in the Alpilles, take a ride down to the Med and visit Aigues Mortes (walled city) and
les Saintes Maries de la Mer (where the gypsies congregate once a year in May to walk the statue of the Sainte Sarah into the sea), visit the olive oil soap factory in Salon de Provence, visit the villages of the Luberon.... Rousillon, with its ochre cliffs is beautiful....Menerbes, Bonnieux,
l'Isle sur la Sorgue on weekends for antiquing.... the big food market and flea market is on Sundays (be prepared for very large crowds).

Visit the Pont du Gard - Roman aquaduct.
And the town of Uzs nearby.

Some of the Market Days -
St. Remy is on Wednesday mornings (smaller market on Saturday mornings), Arles is on Saturday morning (the largest market in Provence - get there early or after 11 AM to avoid hordes of people),
Maussane-les-Alpilles (just over the Alpilles from St. Remy and near Les Baux - where I live) is on Thursday mornings.

If you are interested in Antiques - Villeneuve-lez-Avignon has a great flea market/brocante on Saturday mornings until about 12:30.

If you like Museums :
In Arles:
Museon Arlaten - Local traditions
La Capeliere Museum - Photographic (Arles is a major center for photography)
Camargue Museum - Ecoloogy, agriculture, history and geography of the Camargue

Les Baux:
Santons Museum - 17th & 18th C Santons

Tarascon: (about 20 minutes west of St. Remy)-

Charles Demery - Souleiado Museum - Local traditions, antique Provencal costumes, cloth making and printing
Just outside Tarascon - in Boulbon, Saint-Michel de Frigolet Abbey, founded mid 12thC

St. Remy:
Glanum Archeological Museum - archeology, collections from Glanum, funerary items and ceramics

PB

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Anthony

Mimi,

We have just returned from our tenth straight visit to St. Remy and environs.

A new restaurant, "La Maison", part of an auberge, has opened in Eyragues, about 10 kilometers from St. Remy on the road to Noves. The food and service are superb. The panoramic vista from its terrace is literally breathtaking. Monyt Ventoux, the Luberon, Des Alpilles will stretch oput before you. One caution - sign with restaurant name on the main road is small and has to be watched out for; also,the access road in to La Maison is unfinished with a number of small craters. Ignore these minor difficulties for a grand meal and panoramic view--Menu 240/370 francs.

Bonne journee!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:05 PM
Jen

Hi,

PB just about covered it...but if you have to pick and choose, here's what I would do:

Take one day and drive up to the Luberon region and do all the towns - Rousillion is lovely, Gordes too (galleries here), Bonnieux.

Definitely do St. Remy and Les Baux in one day - start with the ruins at Les Baux very early before the tour buses. Glanum, Les Antiques, the asylum - all wonderful.

Other opinions:

I didn't think Arles was as wonderful as some of the other places, just FYI.

The castle at Tarascon is beautiful. I would make a trip to see it.

In Maussane-les-Alpilles, there's an olive oil cooperative that has the best olive oil I've ever had (PB - I'm EXTREMELY envious that you live in that wonderful town!). Also, home to a great restaurant Ou Ravi... - PB, can you fill in the blank? The chef's name is Francois (sp?)

In Paradou, there is a another great restaurant (right down the road from Maussane) called Le Petit France - pure heaven. Must eat there!

Enjoy!