St. Petersburg Palaces-which are best?

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Petersburg Palaces-which are best?

We are cruising to St. Petersburg in June; we have two onshore days in which to tour. We are going to the Hermitage for the 1/2 day tour w/ Gold Room, but if you had to pick only one other, would it be the Peterhof, Pavlovsk, or Catherine Palace (with Amber Room), last two of which are about 20 miles out of town? Is local street life, market tours worthwhile? We are going via Celebrity tours only not on our own. Thanks!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Lizg1

Petergof is by far # 1, no doubts about it.
Amber Romm is very much overrated. Nice, but if you don't have time, don't worry.
Petergof is a must!

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:46 AM
MNP

Another vote for Petergof. Amazing and shouldn't be missed.

Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM

Another vote cast for Petergof! And by all means add more time to visit the Hermitage if at all possible. You'll see why once you get there! ENJOY!!
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Peterhof!

They (Peterhof and Catherine Palace) are both breathtaking and probably the most extravagant palaces in the world...along with the Hermitage (Winter Palace). But if you had to choose only one besides your visit to the Hermitage, I would say Peterhof.

If you haven't done it already, they both have websites. You can find them with "google".
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Peterhof is spectacular, especially for the gardens and fountains, but the interior is totally brand new and "re-created"...

1/2 a day is not nearly enough for the Hermitage...If you love art, I'd recommend spending your time there rather than at any palace - for the positively amazing collection (and it's a "palace" as well).

But, I highly recommend alloting time for walking all about St. Petersburg...and a "canal cruise" is not to be missed.

Something we did not do (and wish we had) was to walk along the river (the White Nights in progress) when all the bridges were lifted...

Also not to be missed within the city are Peter & Paul and the Church on Spilled Blood, along with many other sensational cathedrals within the city.

With only two days...
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 07:24 PM

With only two days ...... you will want to go back. I would take the visit to Peterhof, try not to spend too much time in the palace as the grounds are one of a kind. June is a perfect time to visir as all the fountains will be turned on. The get turned of at around 6pm so don't miss them.

For some pictures of Peterhof see: http://community.webshots.com/album/174395722NHBqsg