Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St. Paddy and pubs, a poor combination for tourists?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized that we will be in London on St. Patrick’s day and my husband would love to visit a pub. Now, I’m not sure what things are like in London , but in the US this holiday is an excuse for naughty behavior and excessive imbibing. Not that we complained as young adults , but we’re not young adults anymore. Is it a bad idea to have our first pub experience this day and if not where do you suggest we dive in? We are staying near St. James’s Park tube station and will be near the National Theater in the evening. I appreciate your feedback.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 09:32 AM

Google St. Patrick's Day and England. It's not quite the THING it is in the US. And you'll be in England, not Ireland. Last check, he's a hero to the Irish, not the English.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I had just read a post about St. Patrick’s day in London and wondered if it was celebrated as heavily there as here. We’re in America not Ireland, and yet any excuse for no-holds- barred liquor consumption seems to take place here. Good to know it’s not the same there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 10:08 AM

Londoner’s don’t need St Patrick's Day as an excuse drunkenness and debauchery - any Saturday night will do.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 10:51 AM

With regard to Irish history, I sincerely doubt there’d be reason for celebrating St. Patricks’s day in London. As sofarsogood mentioned, there’s little need for a specific reason...anytime works well.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 11:51 AM

Lived here over 10 years and sure there arepubs that do cheesy st paddy’s day things but it’s not really a thing here...
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:33 PM

If you don't know this website it is good for finding pubs. You can search by location or other features. You might start with the postcode of your hotel to see what's nearby. Pub guide to London pubs and other pubs in the UK. | Fancyapint?
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 08:51 PM

There will be a series of official events around London as well as a parade through central London, so it's possible places around Trafalgar Square and Westminster will be even more crowded than usual. But anywhere else, and down side streets in the centre, you probably wouldn't know anything special is going on.

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...held-in-london
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 10:59 PM

Are ye daft? Have ye no ken o' The Troubles?
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 12:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St Patr? Never heard of him. Seriously not a saint that inspires much devotion in the UK, unless you are of Irish stock and even then not a reason for drinking. Dublin on the other hand....
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Seamus
Are ye daft? Have ye no ken o' The Troubles?
Never underestimate English amnesia in relation to Ireland.....
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 03:47 AM

" Never underestimate English amnesia in relation to Ireland..... "

Strange comment BUT I think you mean British amnesia (if you think there is any).
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 05:25 AM

St Patrick's Day weekend festival: https://www.london.gov.uk/events/201...-festival-2018
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I did see an article about a large event at Trafalgar Square, possibly the same one nonconformist provided. ( I love that moniker.) I guess they’re expecting 100,000. That’s pretty crowded. . I think we’ll do our best to avoid that area. We’ll be seeing the Ferryman that evening. Perhaps an Irish pub is in order. Although I don’t think that’s what my husband meant when he expressed a desire to visit a pub this trip.
Lauri Ann - thanks for the help with the pub finder although I also appreciate word of mouth. Hint, hint.
bilboburgler- we don’t drink out of devotion to St. Patrick here either. These days it’s more out of fear and self loathing.
Now I feel silly for asking, but after reading a post on St.Patrick’s day in London and pubs and seeing the article on the event at Trafalgar Square, I thought it might be wise to get a heads up. Ah, well , I am now duly chastened. We look forward to our brief visit and appreciate your responses.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

sorry- Patrick London provided the link.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
remembering the troubles is probably part of the problem, still we are learning to live forward and seldom remember the influence of our allies across the pond ;-)
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 04:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hooameye
" Never underestimate English amnesia in relation to Ireland..... "

Strange comment BUT I think you mean British amnesia (if you think there is any).
So help out a poor beknighted [sic] American here. I would have said English too.
Doesn't this go back to Cromwell and beyond? Wasn't that the English?
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 05:46 PM

It goes back a lot further than Cromwell, the beginnings of English invasion/ conflict started in the 12th century.
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 05:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Right, but still trying to understand Hooameye's subtle distinction (post #12) between British and English.

Once I was talking about some innocent subject with a Scotsman, like perhaps driving on the left side of the road, and I said "you British drive on the left" and he gave me a sideways glance. But if I had said "you English..." then I would have been in much bigger trouble!
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 06:48 AM

Don’t forget that Robert the Bruce invaded Ireland War of The Three Kings: Scotland's invasion of Ireland - BBC News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -