St Moritz hiking

Search

St Moritz hiking

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Moritz hiking

We are driving from Munich to Como and will be spending two nights in St. Moritz in early June. I am interested in some easy to moderate hikes that are easily accessible. I guess staying in our hotel gets us a pass on the funiculars and cable cars so that will help. I realize it is a bit early in the season but does anyone have any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There last year, St M is pretty dull, I'd head East up the valley and walk up there
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:48 AM

You can take one of the world's mos awesomely scenic railways - the Bernina Pass Railway one hour to the south around the summit stations of Alp Grum and Bernina Ospiz - here is some nice easy hiking - walk to a glacier and around an Alpine pond - and also experience one of the world's most gorgeous rail rides - take the regional trains and just hop on and off - details on the Bernina Pass Railway - https://www.rhb.ch/en/panoramic-trains/bernina-express; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Note there is the official Bernina Express that must be booked and is often full but regular regional trains roll over the same scenery - a cheap ticket up and back from St-Moritz. there are more challenging hikes from Bernina Pass rail stations too.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:02 AM

On 06 June the funicular Muottas Muragl and chair lift Alp Languard start the summer season. If the weather co-operates, I highly recommend you do the hike from Muottas Muragl to Alp Languard. It offers the best panoramic views of the Upper Engadine. It's all south-facing, so the snow should be gone even at that elevation (2,300 - 2,600 m)

The other option is Diavolezza. The cable car will be open. But no hikes up there - just gazing at the glaciers and peaks (which are gorgeous, too.)
Old May 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM

Diavolezza is a station not far out of St Moritz/Pontresina on the Bernina Pass Railway - futuristic-looking cable way goes from near it.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.bahnmuseum-albula.ch/

is worth a trip out and then catch the train up through the mountains
Old May 4th, 2015, 02:31 AM

Dont' worry: there are tons of well signmarked hiking trails all over the area, not only along the favourite of overseas people (Bernina railway).
You may check
the uncountable trails between St. Moritz and Maloja, either along the Lakes of Champfer, Silvaplauna and Segl, or above them;
the trails from Sils Maria into the scenic Fex and Fedoz Valleys (up to the glaciers, if you like);
the short hike from Maloja to Lake Cavloc and Lake Bitaberg;
the endless panoramic Bregaglia Valley hiking trail (from Maloja up to Soglio, with many possibilities to go down to the nert bus stop);
the trail into Val Roseg (the trip can be shortened by using the scheduled horse car);
the trail from La Rosa (Bernina road) to lovely Lake Viola (in fact, there are 16 mountain lakes in this area);
and, and, and.........
Old May 4th, 2015, 02:33 AM

Stop at the thermal spa of Scuol, at the catle of Tarasp and at the scenic Engadin village of Guarda on your drive from Munich to Landeck - St. Moritz!