Search

St. Mark Square to the Venice train station via Vaporetto

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Mark Square to the Venice train station via Vaporetto

Hi All,

We need to catch a 9:45 a.m. train on a Tuesday morning in July. The hotel I plan to reserve is Best Western Ala Hotel for ~85 euro per night (is the price good?) near St Mark's Square and I believe the Stop is Santa Maria del Giglio. How early should I plan to leave the hotel??

Between me and my husband we have a traveler backpack and a mid size luggage. Will that slow us down?

Or should we simply stay in Cannaregio area??

Thanks for any input!!
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I think that price is astoundingly good. Have you checked on Trip Advisor for reviews? I have found them helpful.

We caught a Vap at 5 in the morning for a 7:30 flight. You won't have any trouble getting to train station. Check with your hotel but 8:30 should be fine. Do you have time to do a dry run the morning before? It took about 10-15 minutes from our stop near Accademia Bridge so you will need a bit more time. Go ahead and buy your ticket the day before so you can go right to the binario of your train.
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I know that location--one of my favs.
The trip will take you about :45 on the GC. You decide how much time you want at the station.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

I am surprised the Vaporetto takes 45 minutes from Santa Maria del Giglio to the station. Definitely need to get up early that morning then.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi shirley,

a lot depends on whether you can catch the fast Line 2 instead of the slow line 1. it might be worth walking a few extra yards, to be able to get the fast one, which only calls at a few stops along the grand canal, including the station. [Ferrovia].

here's a website [I'm sure there are olthers, but I thought this link might be interesting for you anyway] with a link to the vaporetti timetables.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...tes2_table.htm

if you need to buy your tickets and find the correct platform, obviously you'll need to allow longer. a dry run combined with buying the tickets and finding your way around might be a good idea, plus you could walk back through san polo and santa croce, to make it more fun. do it reasonably early in the morning, and you can have a look at the rialto market too.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM

If you caught that rate for the Hotel Ala, you did great. We stayed there several years ago and loved it - really great location, and only a few steps from the vaporetto stop. Could not be easier. I think 30 - 45 minutes sounds about right for the vaporetto, but it should be really easy for you, because your front door is steps away from the stop. Have fun!
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM

According to the ACTV site, it's more like 30 minutes. Allow extra time for delays and to navigate the train station. Best options:

LINE 1 DEP: S.MARIA DEL GIGLIO 08:40 Arr: FERROVIA S.LUCIA DX 09:11

OR cutting it closer . . .

LINE 1 DEP: S.MARIA DEL GIGLIO 09:00 Arr: FERROVIA S.LUCIA DX 09:31