Spring time in Paris

May 1st, 2014, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Spring time in Paris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/14082049934/
May 1st, 2014, 09:17 AM

Can I go to Chez Panisse instead? It looks cold in Paris, though warmer than this time last year, when it was sleeting.
May 1st, 2014, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Chez Panisse has excellent food, but pricey for what it is. The service is not what I would expect. Everything came to the table on time, no problem with having the head waiter/sommelier help us choose a wine. But during the meal, the staff passed by our table without ever glancing in our direction and our table had a draft (it was a cold, windy evening) whenever someone opened the front door. Eventually we got the attention of the maitre d' or the head waiter who closed the curtain, which was reopened 5 minutes later by the maitre d' or head waiter, whichever one did not close it. I expect restaurants of that caliber to discretely keep an eye on each table to make sure that everything is OK.

Alice Waters came in at 7, not at the beginning of the the 6 o'clock service and sat two tables away directly facing me. She did not have problems with the service.

This said, it is clearly a local place for celebration. There were at least 6 birthdays or similar celebrations during out sitting (two sittings a night).
May 5th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Michael, just saw your pictures of St Jean de Luz and the French Basque village on another thread. Great photos, I saw some places I will want to visit next month. Ackislander sorry about hi-jacking your question.
May 5th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

larrya,

I also wrote a trip report starting in Bordeaux that might interest you; click on my name to find it.