Spring Break in Switzerland

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Lori

Spring Break in Switzerland

Morning All,
My husband and I are heading to Switz. 4/15 thru 4/24 arriving in Zurich. Chose Amsterdam over CDG for the connection! Thanks for that great advice. SO, we arrive 10am-ish get car and...My plan is to leave Zurich and perhaps head south. We would like to visit the Como area and head to the BernerOberland. I have an Uncle and family in Locarno area to visit also. Is this Easter week a heavy tourist season? I 'd like to avoid a set itinerary, but I'm concerned about heavy hotel bookings.
Would love your advice, suggestions etc. etc.
Many Thanks!!!!
BernerOberland.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Ed

Should not be a busy time for Switzerland at all. Ski season is pretty well ended by or before April 15 and summer season doesn't start until June.

Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 11:25 AM
lori

Ed,
Thanks for the info.Your(?) site is great and very helpful. Would you recommend hoofing it w/o reservations or sticking with the itinerary (which we don't have set yet). We will be without children this time and enjoy and adventure, BUT I'd hate to be stranded without a comfy bed and hot shower after
a day of wandering
Thanks!

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 03:21 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lori, I always drive in Europe but no
reason to in most of CH. Train direct
from the airport---the station is in the
terminal---to Interlaken and then the
local train up to Grindelwald or Wengen
to stay. When you leave here, train to
Lugano and get the car there It is only
:45 to Locarno and less than an hour to
Como and is most charming. Go to this
site www.grindelwald.ch for info and hotels. I like the Parkhotel Schoenneg.
You should be in good shape on crowds
that late. Easter is late this year and
that usually marks the end of ski season

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Judi

We are planning to be in Wengen the first week of April. I contacted the Sunstar and Alpenrose as to availability and was told by both that they had accommodations available without reservations. However, both will be closed for the season by April 15. I know that some places will be open but I suggest you make some queries via e mail before you go.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 08:04 AM
lori

Thanks Bob and Judi. We have been snow/iced in here in NC for almost 2 weeks now and I have gotten a good bit of planning done,except for interruptions from homebound kiddies. Is Parkhotel Schoenburg in Lugano? Have a cousin there, sounds convenient. Is Lauterbrunnen cental to Jungfrau regions and where is Hotel Bellevedere? Have seen a few very complimentary posts and their rates seem more reasonable than Villa D'Este.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Jolene

Lori

The funicular rail to the top of the Jungfrau boards at Lauterbrunnen. Stop by and say "Hello" to my cousins---they live near the station!

Jolene

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 07:33 AM
lori

Jolene,
Have about 3 days in grindelwald, will wave as we pass the cousins. Plan to spend 1 of our days on the journey UP and down, the remander exploring. Then we will drive either west to friborg and montreux or south and east to the lakes,
which we must include anyway to visit my family. Any suggestions? We're so ready, can't hardly stand it!!!!
Lori

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Lori

P.S. I ordered Karen Brown's guide to Switz. Should be a big help. Will let you know.
Lori