Search

Spitsbergen

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spitsbergen

Has anyone been on a cruise around the islands? where can I get the cheapest flights from Oslo to Longyearbyen?
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Really easy, there is just one company: SAS.

Spitzbergen is a part of Norway so you want to go from Norway - Oslo to Norway - Longyearbyen.

Cheap or cheapest? Considering monopoly, 500 euros for a return ticket is a good price. In June it may go down to about 300 euros.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Svalbard

http://wikitravel.org/en/Longyearbyen

And, if you read the end of those descriptions, there are some words of personal safety. However, if you want to go to Spitzbergen, you probably are already aware of it:

"Perhaps more so than anywhere in the world, Longyearbyen is free from crime. The risk of being involved with any type of altercation or incident is practically nil, with the sole threat being from fellow visitors. It is not uncommon to see intoxicated tourists wandering around during the midnight sun in August, but despite the complete lack of visible law enforcement, problems are almost non-existent.

It is not advised that you leave the settlement limits (clearly marked with signs bearing the picture of a polar bear). If you choose to do so, it is compulsory to carry a firearm which can be rented from the town. Travelling further afield requires explicit permission from the Governor of Svalbard, whose office is near the church."
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping there might be another way besides SAS, but this is a place I really want to see.
How likely is it that the price of fares will drop?

And Yes, I am aware of the restrictions of leaving the settlement limits. I wont be trying to do that.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Hi there,
I've been on several cruises around Spitsbergen and it is a really amazing location with plenty to see.

SAS is the only airline serving Spitsbergen but if you are planning to join a cruise you can get some inclusive flight deals.

You can take a look at my site www.newhorizonexpeditions.com that has some cruise options.

Also www.skyscanner.net is a good site for flight details and availability. You can view monthly flights seeing flights and prices over the month.

Cheers,
Tom
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM

This is the official web site for the Svalbard Airport. http://www.avinor.no/en/airport/svalbard/frontpage

SAS fly between Svalbard and Oslo and between Svalbard and Tromsø. Norwegian used to offer flights to Svalbard, but is not currently doing so.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM

The same company that operates the Hurtigruten does tours to Spitsburgen. You can even combine the too. Not cheap though.

www.hurtigruten.com/Spitsbergen.

For something a bit different try:
http://www.noorderlicht.nu/index.php?lang=english