Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spent extensive holiday in VENICE, FLORENCE & ROME...glad to pass along any info.

Search

Spent extensive holiday in VENICE, FLORENCE & ROME...glad to pass along any info.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 07:45 PM
Sally Boyett

We had an amazing holiday in Venice, Florence and Rome last summer and would be happy to pass along information on hotels, scheduling, sightseeing, etc.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Dan

My wife and I are going to Rome and Florence later this month - have booked 3 nights at Scalinata di Spagna in Rome, 3 nights at the Morandi alla Crocetti in Florence - then returning to Rome for one night but haven't booked a place yet. We've started a "tradition" when we travel to Europe of staying someplace very special on the last night of our trip and splurging on a great meal. We thought we'd wait til we get to Rome to check out a good place to stay and to eat on our last night there - any suggestions? And are you familiar with either of our hotels? Know a good, out-of-the-way restaurant in Florence? We're going to go down to Siena for a day as well (not overnight) - any suggestions for lunch there? Any other tidbits would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 02:56 PM
Judy Kay

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe and will probably spend the entire 3 weeks in
Italy. We are not city people and are a little in-
timidted by the idea of flying into Rome which is
supposed to be large, noisy, and chaotic, but we
really do want to see the sights there. Any ideas
regarding out of the way hotels, or maybe a better
way to begin the trip? (i.e. would we be better off
flying into Milan and starting our trip in another
area?) Any info would be much appreciated.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 05:53 PM
Monique Huntley

We will be going to Venice Rome and Florence in May what do you think we should not miss

Old Feb 8th, 1998, 01:15 PM
Mike Frenette

My wife and I are travelling to Rome in a few months, and are worried about accomodation. When we were in Greece in '94, we found that pre-booking hotels through a travel agent meant paying about double what you would pay if you just booked when you got there.

What do you suggest regarding pre-booking accomodation, and what hotels/pensionnes do you recommend?

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 04:14 PM
Sharon f

Sally-We are going to Italy In May and just today recd email from the hotel Morandi Alla Crocetta that they made a mistake in our reservations (that were made in Oct) and they only have space for us for one instead of 2 nites. Have you any suggestions for accomodations in Florence? We would like a clean, nice notel with "updated" bathrooms in a convenient area for a max of 280000 lire or less same is also true for Venice. I am hoping you have some suggestions! Also, what is the best way to get from the train station in Venice to the Hotel? Last but not least, what was your most memorable experience in Florence, ROme & SIena and any recommendations of what not to do! I realize this is ALOT, but if you are like me, you enjoy relating your experiences after a wonderful trip! Best regards, Sharon

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 11:20 PM
Sally Boyett

Dan,
You MUST spend your last evening in Rome dining with your wife at 'Les Etoiles' - the rooftop restaurant of the Hotel Atlante Star. It was a wonderful experience. From the complementary champagne at your arrival, to the view of St. Peter's out the picture windows, to the soft Gershwin on the grand piano...it's worth every penny...and actually not as expensive as Fodors printed in the '97 Italy book. When making a reservation, request a seat with a view of St. Peter's. It's near the Vatican. This will be a memorable experience!

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 11:27 PM
Sally Boyett

Dan,
I forgot to mention Sienna, there's a great restaurant where we dined two years ago called Al Marsili and came highly recommended from Fodors. It's a 900 year old winecellar converted into a restaurant and it was delicious. Buon Appetito!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 12:00 AM
Sally Boyett

TO: Judy Kay
I think it makes the most sense to fly into either Milan or Rome and then work your way north or south...that way, you spend most of your time experiencing Italy and less time on the trains (or in a car). If you and your husband are doing the larger cities: Venice, Rome, Florence...I would highly recommend traveling by train. If you're not accustomed to trains, don't be nervous, they're safe and easy. I would recommend going first class between major cities to add more comfort to your trip (first class tends to be alot less crowded, leaving you ample room for luggage and extra comfort in leaving the trains). I have planned both itineraries arriving Milan/departing Rome and arriving Rome/departing Bologna...depends on your preference and airline availability. Don't be afraid of visiting Rome...the warnings are there to make you aware - just like going to New York - but should in no way deter you from seeing this glorious city. Just keep a tight grip on your money and look out for groups of street children or people pushing into you in a crowd - common travel sense stuff.
I spent 5 nights in Rome last summer and it was just perfect. Plan your itinerary in advance to maximize your time. A visit to the ruins at Ostia Antica (30 min. outside Rome) would be a nice way to wind up your visit to Rome. An "out of the way" hotel might be nice, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay in the city itself, especially since that will cut down on your overall travel time. Something near the Spanish Steps or the Vatican should be nice. (I'm not sure of your budget, so I hesitate to make recommendations)
In Florence, I highly recommend the Hotel Pendini (they have a website) and in Venice, we stayed at the charming Hotel Giorgione (also has a website).
I hope this helps and I'd be happy to answer more questions! Ciao!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 12:07 AM
Sally Boyett

Monique,
Message: If you have never been to these three cities before, I would suggest hitting the highlights. I spent time in all three cities just last summer. In Venice, spend a day in Piazza San Marco (tour the church, including the extra areas that require a small fee, the bell tower has the best view in town, use the vaporettos for transportation (you can buy a ticket good for unlimited travel for 2 or 3 days). Also, don't miss the Doge's Palace (in Piazza San Marco). Beware of sitting outside at the cafes in Piazza San Marco unless you want to pay $15 for a glass of $3 Prosecco! I would suggest a trip to one of the islands on the second day (consult Fodor's or another guide book for ideas on which one might interest you). There's lots of walking to be done, take time to do this and to see the canals. One of the best evening experiences was soaking up the local color at Piazza San Marco. The various outdoor cafes have "dueling" bands that take turns trying to draw people to their cafes. Definitely a fun evening! As for Florence...see the Duomo, the crypt is interesting, the Baptistry (at least the famous doors), of course the Uffizi and Accademia museums (check guidebooks for times). See the church of Santa Croce, the Ponte Vecchio, and visit all the shops in that area. There are countless shops for leather goods in Florence. I highly recommend the Museo del'Opera del Duomo which houses many original items and works of art from the Duomo. Everything in Florence and Venice are within walking distance. There isn't much "nightlife" in Florence. I would suggest taking your time over dinner and then walking around the Duomo by night. In Rome, see the Colloseum, tour the Vatican and St. Peter's (this will take most of a day - start early!), the Spanish Steps and the nearby "designer" shopping street, the via Condotti are fun. The Pantheon shouldn't be missed, the famous Trevi Fountain, and of course, the ruins near the Colloseum - don't miss them! We did the entire tour of the forum and hill ruins - unbelievable! If you have time to venture outside of Rome, visit Ostia Antica - an amazingly well-preserved ancient city. It's huge and takes at least 3-4 hours. Take a picnic lunch! Buona fortuna e buon viaggio!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 01:25 AM
Marina Bertè Frady

My husband and I are planning a trip to Florence in April. Any recommendations for casual restaurants where the florentines eat traditional Tuscan GOOD food?

Also, I found a hotel on the via Tornabuoni. I think I remember this area from my last trip to Florence as not touristy, but a rather tony shopping street, yes?

I'd appreciate any recommendations you have for 'real' florentine experiences you had.

Grazie!

Marina Bertè Frady

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 03:32 AM
Jesscia Pang

i am planning to go to Italy this summer.
1.Should i rent a car for there are 2 children.
Although travelling by car is the most practical way but deal to the high petrol prices and traffic jams...what should i do?
2. Where should i stay in Venice, Florence and Rome?
3.if i travel by car, what route should i drive if i intend to go to Venice, Florence asd Rome?

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 06:48 AM
Sally Boyett

Mike,
My suggestion would be to make your hotel accomodations over the internet or take recommendations from a reputable guide book such as Fodors. My last trip, I made all the hotel reservations over the net and I wasn't disappointed - some hotels evern give a slight discount to net users. I HIGHLY recommend the Hotel Pendini in Florence (they have a website) and the Hotel Giorgione in Venice (also have a website). If you speak Italian, you can get fast information over the phone, although every hotel that I've been to has someone who speaks English. I've heard from other people that the Scalinata di Spagna is nice in Rome - and it has a great location!
Regarding when you should book...I advocate having your reservation in advance. Even if you're making plans just 1-3 weeks ahead.
Hope I offered some useful info! Buon viaggio!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 07:03 AM
Sally Boyett

Sharon,
I HIGHLY recommend the Hotel Pendini (they have a website). Perfect location - a few blocks from the Duomo and right off a charming piazza with restaurants and trattorias. They have a low rate: last summer 220,000 lire per night for a double room. Check their website to get availability. In Venice, we spent a little more money (360,000 per night) at the Hotel Giorgione - but we enjoyed it and it was convenient to everything. It's a short walk from Piazza San Marco, but if you want to stay there you will have to pay higher rates. From the train station in Venice, go directly outside and you will be on the Grand Canal. Take a vaporetto (water taxi) to the landing closest to your hotel (determine this before arriving - ask the hotel when making reservations). The vaporetto stop to the far right goes all the way down the Grand Canal to Piazza San Marco. If you'll be there for a few days, I recommend the 3-day pass. Unlimited travel on the vaporettos - we really made use of them as they're the public transportation of Venice!
For some of the most memorable experiences, read the above long paragraph that I wrote to Monique. And if you're looking for a romantic evening in Rome, don't miss out on dining at Les Etoiles at the Hotel Atlante Star. Another great restaurant in Rome is Ranieri, right off the Via Condotti and not far from the the base of the Spanish Steps. Buona fortuna!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 01:02 PM
Tracy T

Sally, We are planning a trip to Venice in May. We are staying at the Metropole Hotel. Do you know anything about it? Also, any fabulous "must eat at" restaurants in Venice? Thanks!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 03:54 PM
Sally Boyett

Jessica,
I hesitate to recommend the train because I don't know the ages of your children or if you have someone to help you. If you decide on going by car, keep in mind that you will park it for the duration of your stay in Rome and Florence, and of course will have to find a place on the mainland to leave it if you plan to stay in a hotel in Venice. If you have never driven in Italy before, keep in mind that city driving is VERY stressful. Keep to the Autostrada if you're not sure of the route, it's usually the fastest way. The best way to find your bearings in any city is to head for the center "centro" (the sign looks like a bulls eye). Familiarize yourself with all signs.
A little info. on the trains: they're economical
and stress-free, take as little luggage as possible, give each child a little back pack to be responsible for and keep the bulk of the luggage in one or two upright suitcases (that wheel standing up on their sides) with a pull-up handle for easy manuevering (I recommend the kind with rollerblade wheels). I hope this was helpful! Buona fortuna!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 04:13 PM
Dan

Thanks for the tips on the restaurants. We'll definitely reserve at "L'Etoile" on our last night in Rome and look for the others as well.

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 06:09 PM
Sharon F.

Sally-Thanks so much for the great response to my questions! All your responses have been most helpful-many thanks for taking the time to write such insightful notes! Grazie!! Sharon PS I have booked the Hotel Pendini!!

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 08:36 PM
Sally Boyett

Marina,
Two wonderful restaurants for typical Tuscan fare are: Le Fonticine on Via Nazionale (not far from the train station) and Paoli on Via dei Tavolini (in the center). The telephone number for Paoli is 216215. I would recommend making reservations at both restaurants. Your hotel should be able to help you with this if you don't feel comfortable calling them yourself. In addition to seeing the most obvious sights, the Duomo, crypt, baptistry, Uffizi, Accademia, I would recommend visiting the Church of Santa Croce and then pausing afterwards for a gelato outside one of the small gelaterias off the piazza, the Biblioteca was very interesting, the Adoration of the Magi exhibit was short but wonderful to see, the Belvedere Fortress with a picnic lunch is a walk and view that shouldn't be missed if you have the time to spend a few hours on top of a hill overlooking Florence. For best results in Florence try to plan your itinerary for sightseeing when most of the other tourists are pausing for lunch (except for many churches which are closed at lunch time). It's difficult to escape from the throngs of people in Florence because it's such a popular destination, but I think just enjoying yourself and seeing what you're able to see at a relaxed pace comes close to a 'real' Florentine experience! Buon viaggio e buona fortuna! Ciao!

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 06:20 AM
i spotswood

My husband and I will be traveling in Italy the last week of March by train. Does anyone know how difficult it is to purchase pt to pt rail tickets? We are traveling from Rome to Florence. Florence to Lyon, France.My biggest concern is that we do not speak Italian and this would hinder us in obtaining the right tickets. Thanks for your comments regarding this. Irene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -