Spending money in Turkey

Search

Spending money in Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spending money in Turkey

My husband and I will be in Turkey (Istanbul) for 5 days in April. I need to know how much money to bring. How much will food cost me for two people for 5 days? Shopping...are goods expensive, what is the change rate for the dollar? I am not looking to make a large purchase but I would like to buy things that are particular from Turkey. I know that you can go to Turkey many times and see many things, but would a day trip from Istanbul to Ephesus be possible and worth while or would using all five days in Istanbul be sufficient? Or is there another city someone would recommend visiting during the trip? Thank you
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM

How would anyone know how much food will cost you unless you give an idea of what you plan to eat. Street food? Fancy hotel restaurants? Where are you staying (which hotel)?

"Are goods expensive?" There are lovely local products in all price ranges.

With only five days I would stay in Istanbul.

For exchange rates, this is a good site:

www.xe.com
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Yea, I dont plan on eating at a fancy hotel for 5 days. I understand the exchange rate but my concern is...is it expensive to eat out and travel around Turkey. I have been to many other European cities that use the Euro and even though the exchange rate is very low...things in major European cities, such as Rome are very expensive, even for the people that live there who dont even consider an exchange of currency!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM

Don't bring money, just use your ATM card. You will need $20 per person in cash (dollars or euros) for your visa. So take $100 or so with you. But there are ATMs everywhere in Turkey.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:46 AM

If you want to, Yes you can visit Ephesusu in a day and return ıstanbul in the evening.

Food, anyting from 3 dollars to 300..... In general food is much cheaper comparing other European cities. Usually what I experienced and compare was; 50 US in states, 50 Euro in Europe, 50 Pound in UK and 50 Lira in Turkey compares as food is concerned.....
Be careful, you can not buy all what is specila to Turkey

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:07 AM

Murat - how does one take a "day trip" to Ephesusu"? I have just read about people going for a couple of days. I'll be in Istanbul starting next week (March 13) for 8 nights. I don't want to overnight anywhere else, my hotel in Istanbul is all set. But if it is easy to go to Ephesusu just for one day I'd consider that, I thought it was too far for one day.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Murat for the info about the comparason. Also I have traveled enough to know that using an American debit or credit card in Europe results in a fee charged sometimes by both banks!!!!! Is Ephesus really possible in one day from Istanbul? What could I see in Ephesus in one day?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM

The only way I can imagine doing Ephesus as a one day excursion from Istanbul is to take the earliest flight possible to Izmir and a taxi from Izmir to Ephesus, and reversing the process in the late afternoon or early evening. I guess if you have the money ...
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:26 AM

Yes, as Michael also stated, a day excursion to Ephesus is possible by taking early flight to Izmir and return flight of 19:00 hours or similar

Taking taksi is not what I recommend, either hire a car and self drive or organize a guided tour which will be starting at airport and covering your transfers from and to Izmir.
In a day, when planned well, you can see, Selcuk Museum, Ephesus itself, St. John, Isabey Mosque, Artemission, Virgin Marry. Many tours do not include Selcuk Museum but after 10 something visits I had there each time visiting Museum firts was comleting the story better. So insist to see the museum if you choose to take organized trip.

Happy travelling,

Murat