SPEED LIMITS?

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 09:51 PM
CORIN

SPEED LIMITS?

WHILE IM DRIVING ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE IN SCOTLAND WHAT ARE THE SPEED LIMITS ON THE HIGHWAY AND IN CITIES?

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 07:39 AM
steve

Except on the freeways, higher than you will be comfortable with

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Sheila

Whilst there are specific limits in some idiosyncratic circumstances there are three usual rule:-
1. Built up ares- 30mph
2. Two way roads- 60mph
3. Dual carriageways-70mph.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 11:59 AM
Tony Hughes

Sheila is more or less correct but, as I work in the roads side of the business I can elaborate a little more. If you drive on the right then you should go very slowly - everyone else will be coming your way. Driving on the left in town the MAXIMUM speed limit is *normally* 30mph but in many circumstances driving at that speed can be dangerously slow. Conversly 30mph can be too fast in many circumstabces (near schools, narrow 2 way streets etc)

Dual cariageway/motorways have a limit of 70mph although as that was set in the 1950's when vehicle design was not as sophisticted, the police will not book anyone doing up to and including about 83/84 mph.

The white circle with the black stripe sign means that the national speed limit applies (see Sheila's list), otherwise look for the 'red circle with the limit inside it' sign - they are prominantly displayed.

Chances are, in the cities you will not make it over 20mph in most areas whatr with the traffic.

For route/sign/direction advice just email me.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 12:19 PM
Mavis

And remember on dual carriageways - the slow lane is the far left lane, the fastest lane the far right - opposite to ours. And whereas we tend to use the middle lane most of the time (if there are three lanes), the English/Scottish find this extremely annoying. Although the left lane will be filled with a lot of lorries, try to stay here, and if someone flashes their lights at you while your puttering away in the middle lane, it means - 'get over'.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Tony Hughes

Mavis

I dont mind you calling us British just this once! Very few three laners in Scotland (small sections of M8,M74 etc) but dont feel intimidated, middle lane is fine if slow-moving vehicles on the left hand lane.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 03:12 PM
Sheila

I saw you're posting a few weeks ago; and I nearly sent you a message from last week which included a heartfelt plea for your return.

Nice to have you back, Tony.

Corin; let me give you some legal advice...as a road engineer, Tony's quite right. And I'm very cheap if you need a good lawyer (as you surely might if you do what he says!)