Search

Specific Train Question..Manchester Airport/Keighley

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Specific Train Question..Manchester Airport/Keighley

Good morning.

I'm flying across the pond for my Goddaughter's First Communion. Short trip, long weekend.

I arrive at Manchester Airport (USAir) at 8:55am on Friday, May 16th.

I can pre-book my train ticket to Keighley (via Leeds).

There's a 10:34 train that looks good.

I haven't flown into MAN in several years, should 1.5 hours be enough time to make it through immigration etc and to the train at the airport?

Also, I can book a return fare on the train (returning on the first train of the morning on May 20th). It gets me to the airport at 8:51am, again, not having been through MAN in a long time, should that be sufficient for a 10:55am flight out?

There's a possibility that my friends will take me to MAN in the morning of the return flight, so...am I better off pre-booking a return train fair at 26GBP, or buying a ticket when I arrive, and then a seperate single ticket, should I need to take the train back?

I hope this all makes sense! I appreciate any responses!
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM

I'll have a go here.
I'd say your plans look fine IF your flight from US is on time.
The fare of £26 return also sounds good. I'd prebook it and hope for the best. If you arrive late you only lose £26. Tickets bought on the spot are more expensive but I don't know how much more.
Your return train again looks fine, it gives you 2 hours before the flight. Only problem again would be the unreliability of UK trains.... but in May there isn't likely to be snow, flooding or leaves on the line. If your friends drive you back to MAN so much the better.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM

These are basically local trains with no need to pre-book. Just buy a ticket at the station and get on any train. The fare will be exactly the same whether you buy in advance or at the station. The £26 fare is a saver ticker which does not need to be booked in advance. The standard one-way fare is £22.50. Unless you're pretty certain you won't be coming back by train, I think you should get the £26 ticket, but don't worry about booking it in advance.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much!
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM

I should add that times and fares are on www.nationalrail.co.uk. If you see the £26 fare, click on the ticket type to see the description of the ticket type. This is a saver fare and the only limitation is that the outward journey cannot be in peak commuting times.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should be all right is the flight is on time. Leeds station is big but if you have been before...