Reload this Page >

Special tourist trains from Interlaken to Luzern

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 1999, 02:36 AM
Jocelyn

Hi all, <BR> <BR>Does anyone know how to book for trains on the Golden Pass route that goes from Interlaken to Luzern? I heard that it's a scenic route that shouldn't be missed??? <BR>Is there a website I can check out trains on the Golden Pass routes? <BR> <BR>Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 03:19 AM
Jay Frank

The Golden Pass is between Spiez and Montreux, via Zweisimmen, where you board the Panoramic Express. Spiez is easily accessible by rail from either Interlaken or Bern. Getting to Spiez <BR>from Luzern is a bit more complex. <BR> <BR>While websites are all the rage these days, I strongly suggest you pick up the book "Europe by Eurail". As for booking a trip: I always did it at the local train station which, as I noted in a previous post, is one of Europes best resources. <BR> <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 05:01 AM
dan

The regular train between Interlaken and Luzern via Brienz is very scenic, passing through lots of hilly and mountainous areas full of lake-side towns.

Old May 27th, 1999, 05:19 AM
Bob Brown

I rode the train from Interlaken Ost to Luzern last year, round trip. It is a fairly slow train, with a stop in Meiringen and then frequent stops after that. The schedule is fairly good going, but coming back we had to leave Luzern a little earlier than I wanted to. (We took a day trip.) <BR>The train does go over a moderate pass, the Brienzer, and the route is fairly scenic. The road covers the same route and I think a car would be a better option because you can stop and look when you want to. There were several villages that we could see from the train that I would like to have explored. To ride the train, I walked up to the counter and bought a ticket. <BR>

Old May 27th, 1999, 07:31 AM
greg

The website describing both trains is at <BR> <BR>http://www.goldenpass.ch/ <BR> <BR>The Interlaken-Luzern is called Brunig Panoramic Express. The SBB site indicates this section is "reservation possible" as opposed to "reservation compulsory" which I interpret along with Bob's post that one can get on even during the peak time by walking up to the counter. <BR> <BR>I presume both of these routes are full of tour groups -- Bob is that what you found?

Old May 27th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Suzann

Jocelyn, <BR>You've already gotten quite a bit of good information, and here is some more for you. The Swiss Federal Railways site is at: sbb.com. Click on "Swiss Federal Railways" to get the English language version. There you can look at timetables, fares, and special tourist trains. You can also buy tickets and make reservations. They are also VERY helpful and responsive to questions by e-mail; they answered my question about regional trains within 12 hours. <BR> <BR>Good fun! <BR>Suzann

Old May 27th, 1999, 07:48 AM
Suzann

Oops. That should be sbb.ch. sorry. <BR>Suzann

Old May 27th, 1999, 04:33 PM
Jocelyn

Thanks to everyone for your helpful info!

Old May 27th, 1999, 05:50 PM
Bob Brown

We went in mid September from Lauterbrunnen to Luzern and back in one day. We left Lauterbrunnen on the BOB train for Interlaken Ost. There we changed for the Brunig Pass route. <BR>We had no seat reservation or anything and there were no tour groups on the train I was on that I saw. I was wrong on the name of the pass, it is indeed the Bruenig Pass. The Briezer See is the lake to the east of Interlaken. I got my Brs mixed up. (Attribute it to another "senior moment", aka can't recall things straight. To me, Sarnen is the most interesting looking village on the route. It is on the north end of the Sarner See which looked very tranquil and lovely. <BR>As for saying it "should not be missed", I would say that might be a little of an overstatement because there are some great views in Switzerland. The one highway view I think "that is not to be missed" is the trip over the Grimsel Pass. That route gets a little woolly in the snow! Also the Furka Pass and the Sustern Pass are both quite spectacular. <BR>Also, the old route over Col St. Bernard, with a stop at the hostel that gave rise to the famous rescue dogs is quite a sight also. <BR>Other than that, the Jungfraujoch trip and the Gornergrat in Zermatt are eye popping. But those are private rail line trips. The Jungfrau trip was expensive even with a discount. <BR>

Old May 28th, 1999, 10:28 AM
richard j. vicek

Good afternoon, Jocelyn <BR>Surf into www.goldenpass.ch/e_home.html. <BR>forall information on the Golden Pass, <BR>reservatiions, etc also. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL...... <BR> <BR>Route actually goes from Geneva to Luzern or vs....

Old May 28th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Craig T

I've taken that train. It has some of the most spectacular scenery. I would say its a don't miss. I don't recall space being a problem. We got tickets at the train station that day. Make sure you're on the right side as you head to Interlaken. Find a window that can be lowered for best view.