Special Paris Memories

Nov 5th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Special Paris Memories

Share with us your special memories of Paris. Did you find that special place? A hidden gem? A memory you'll keep forever?
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Hunting for headstones in Pere-Lachaise Cemetery while the rain poured down...
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Just being there is a special memory for me. But I do remember the first time I saw Notre Dame I cried.
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Degas

Sadness and then mounting rage after slipping on a huge, steaming mound of vile poodle poop and crashing into a beret stand near the Louvre on a grey overcast day when all the unions were on strike, no taxi's would stop, my ATM cards were rejected, and all the Burger Kings were closed for horse meat inventory.

Nov 6th, 2003, 08:06 AM

I vividly recall having a good laugh while my husband was shopping for a beret, and we saw this strangely dressed man (bib overalls, plaid shirt, red belly bag and big white tennies) falling down while he loudly shouted, "The South Will Rise Again."
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Degas

Giovanna, that was me for sure. I bet you were the pretty lady that found my heavy black plastic "birth control" glasses.

Okay, I'll play nice. Two REAL ones are found below:

Walking in the warm sun on a glorious fall afternoon, then sitting on a park bench in the Place des Vosges to savor a carefully assembled picnic lunch and listen to a wonderful string quartet play classical music

Walking up the steep steps of the Sacre Coeur in the peaceful silence before the crowds arrived, and looking back over Paris as the early morning light danced over the rooftops.

Nov 6th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Ascending to the rooftop of Samaritaine Department Store watching the sunset over the Seine and all of it's bridges.

Eating a deep, dark chocolate "malagache" cake from Andre Cleret in the 1st arr. and sipping on a chocolat choid on a cold day, of course.

Riding the metro

Going up the escalator at the Pompidou

Drinking champagne while looking out the windows of my Paris apartment rental

Cafe creme, croissant early morning at Ma Bourgogne in Place des Vosges

Ice cream cone from Berthillon

A day at the races at Longchamp

too many more too mention
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM

I agree that there are many. However, I will always smile when I think of standing at a cafe with my husband in Gare du Nord, having a croissant and coffee, before heading on Eurostar to London for the day.

I had turned 30 years old that morning, and I was giddy with delight that I was standing in a train station in Paris, France on such a momentous birthday.
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Taking dog poo poo off my shoes.
Being talked to like a dog because I asked for stamps. I said please and thank you

Dont all of you jump on me. I plan to give Paris another shot. To see the Eiffel Tower at night again will be worth it to me.
Nov 6th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Entering St. Chapelle and hearing the "Violons de France" play therein.

Visiting Musee D'Orsay, the Impressionist/Van Gogh wing. The Alfred Sisley works are marvelous in this area.

Going through the moving WW II Museum in L"Invalides.

Hearing a string quartet on the bridge near the Ile St. Louis.

The beauty of Notre Dame.

Nov 6th, 2003, 10:22 AM
aj

Setting in Place du Marche St. Catherine, drinking a Kir and watching the locals in the evening. Just walking the back streets of the Marais and window shopping.
Eating pastry evertime I feel like it without guilt!!!
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:30 AM

I have two:

1) I was spending a brilliant fall afternoon alone in a park across the Seine from Notre Dame, eating a baguette sandwich, when a beautiful black cat suddenly jumped up on the bench next to me. When I reached out to pet him, he actually came over closer to me and began to purr. I ended up sharing not only my sandwich, but also the amazing view with him for about half an hour or so before he left me.

2) I'd gone to check out the Eiffel Tower at night because I wanted to see it all lit up. Well, I'd arrived about half an hour before sunset, so I just sat on a park bench and watched as the evening got darker and the tower got brighter. Suddenly, at exactly 8pm, the tower began twinkling with what seemed to be a million little white lights. I didn't know it did that! It was SO beautiful and unexpected that I actually kind of jumped up and down clapping a little like a little kid. I'll never forget that!

Jennie
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:44 AM

My first trip to Paris we arrived on Bastille Day and headed over to the Eiffel tower early in the day before the celebrations.

While we were walking around a young Parisian man came up asked me for a dance in the street, being in a festive mood we danced, then he asked for my hand in marriage lol! He kept asking if he could have just one kiss, just one pleeezzze. I laughed and kept saying no but when we were directly under the tower I quickly planted one on him. It was a great first day in Paris, this sort of thing does not happen to me. It was all in good fun...

Now I can say I have been kissed and proposed to under the Eiffel Tower.
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:56 AM

I was 26, traveling on the cheap with my 18-yr-old cousin. We found a street market near the Arc de Triomphe, bought a baguette, some cheese and apples, and then headed to the Eiffel Tower. We bought some drinks from a street vendor, found a bench and had a wonderful picnic watching young boys play soccer and old men bowl. Seven years later, I took my parents to Paris and repeated the scene, right down to the Fanta orange soda.
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:59 AM

I was way more taken with the Eiffel Tower than I ever thought I would be. Before going to Paris, I thought it was just one of those touristy things that everyone has to see once. When I actually saw it--WOW! Going up to the top was worth every penny.
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:07 AM

It was in December and very cold. We went into Notre Dame to sit awhile and warm up. I'm not a religous person but I felt at peace with the world.

Hey Giovanna

The south may not rise again but they may determine the next Presidental election.
Nov 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM

I'm going to stretch a little and share my favorite French memory - not from Paris but I'm sure it could have been. I was in France with my 25 year old daughter on her birthday - we are foodies but not really gourmets. But because of the occaision we were thinking about going to a Michellin star resturant so we went by early in the day to check out the menu. The resturant was not open yet but we read over the menu then looked inside thru the windows and what did we see???? A fluffy dog up on top of the lovely clothed tables, evidently cleaning up crumbs from the night before! By the way we did not eat at the resturant, not so much because of the dog (we are dog lovers ourselves)but we decided the food was too fancy for us - maybe the pooch had a more sophisticated palate than we do!
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Funny story, suec. Last summer we had a similar experience. A very nice restaurant closed mid afternoon. This time it was a huge fluffy cat lounging atop a fully set table. He was actually stretched out atop a plate, his tail wagging back and forth above and into a wine glass. I wondered if the table would be reset before dinner time. I bet not!
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Sitting at an outdoor cafe and "facing out" watching Paris walk by.
Nov 6th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Walking back from a "self-guided" walking tour along Canal (ARGH! SENIOR MOMENT!) whatsit-- St Martin? toward Place de Republique. A slightly scruffy young man in bluejeans and a sweatshirt came up to me with a very puzzled look on his face and handed me a slip of paper with an address on it. I said: "Do you speak English?" (of course he blushed and grinned widely) "I'm afraid I'm a tourist too and I haven't a clue where this address is."

We opened up our big Michelin map on the hood of a parked car and tried to help him find the street, at least. This was about my third day ever in Paris and he was probably the fifth person to ask me directions, already.

My special memory is how much we enjoyed having that big map, and how often we've used it on subsequent trips. It's taken us all over the city with great confidence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO