Reload this Page >

Spanish trains & buses

Search

Spanish trains & buses

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 08:20 PM
Susan

Spanish trains & buses

We're thinking of flying into Madrid & then taking a train south to Seville, Granada, & Cordoba. Where is the Madrid train station located?(In Paris, the new station is right at CDG airport - is there anything like this in Madrid?) <BR> We'd like to stay a few days in Seville, Grandada, & Cordoba. What is the best public transporation for travel to these 3 cities/towns? We definitely don't want to drive. <BR> Thanks for any information. <BR>Susan

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 03:37 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors Spanish trains & buses <BR> <BR>The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. I'm afraid that table3 shows that there is no Spsmish parallel to C de G in Paris. Rather, from Barajas airport there are busses each ten minutes to the Plaza Colon, and a metro line, with a change, to the city centre. With luggage, I'd take the bus to Plaza de Colon, then the metro south to Puerta de Atocha. <BR> <BR>Table 665 shows that high speed restaurant car trains AVE (Alta Velocidad Espaniola) leave Madrid Puerta de Atocha at 0700, 0800, and hourly to 1200, then at 1400, 1500 (not weekends), 1600, 1630, 1700 (not Saturdays), 1800, and hourly to 2200. They take 2 1/2 hours to Seville, or 2 hours to Cordoba. Since the run between Cordoba and Seville is fifty minutes and to Granada is three hours, you might think of staying at just one city, Seville, and commuting to the others. The timetable's January issue showed that second class single from Madrid to Seville by AVE is 8 200 pesetas or 49 US dollars. Seville to Cordoba second class single is 2 700 pesetas or 16 dollars <BR> <BR>You are right to eschew driving: these are fine cities for walkers and strollers. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 08:48 AM
teri

Dear Susan, <BR>It sounds like you want to go the same places I went last week! I think the best way to get around Madrid is the Metro. It goes everywhere in the city. All international flights come into Barajas. You want to take the AVE that goes to Cordoba and Seville. For this you have to go to the atocha station. When you get to Madrid goto the the Metro and ask someone how to get to Atocha Station. They will give you a map and intructions. It costs about 75 cents. It would be best if you go ahead and get resevations for you train trip, otherwise you might spend a few extra hours at the train station. Go to Cordoba first. Then go to Seville. We took a train to Granada and also back to Madrid. I understand the bus is probably faster. Check it out. You can also take a plane to all these places, but I'm sure it's more expensive. Have fun.

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 05:24 PM
David

Susan <BR> <BR>I second the comments by both Ben and Teri regarding the trains. <BR> <BR>Definately take the AVE from Madrid to Sevilla. It's really your choice as to whether you stay in Sevilla and day trip back to Cordoba or stop on the way to Sevilla. The AVE has 3 classes - Touriste, Preferente and Club. You will require a reservation for whichever class you choose. To get further times and costs look at http://www.renfe.es/ingles/index.html . <BR>This site will also help on times for the Sevilla to Granada leg of your trip, but be aware that most of the slower trains will require you to change at Bobadilla (the train from Sevilla actually continues onto Malaga and the destination board shows only Malaga). I found out the hard way last November as not many people in Sevilla Santa Justa Estacione speak English. I suggest that you take a "Fast Train" which goes direct. It will require a reservation as well. <BR> <BR>The railway station for the South of Spain is Atoche and it is situated at the end of Calle Atoche and is about a 20 minute walk from Plaza Sol. The Estacione Atoche has Metro, Cerciencia (sp?)(Trains to Toledo, Segovia etc) and AVE platforms. <BR> <BR>There is a Metro at Barajas International Airport which can take you, very safely, to any part of the city. Your Hotel/Hostale will give you directions to their address. All lines are colour coded. <BR> <BR>All 4 cities that you are going to are "walkable" and are extremely enjoyable. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR> <BR>David

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 07:05 PM
lina

We did the transfer from the Madrid airport to the Atocha station in 1998 after a long flight from Seattle. We are budget travelers but it was well worth the $12-$15 it cost to take a cab - and very quick. If I remember correctly it was only about 10 or 15 minutes.