Spanair Business class?

Sep 6th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Mike

Spanair Business class?

Am considering a Dulles to Madrid trip in business/first class. Is it worth it?

Sep 6th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Jean

Mike,
I don't know about Business Class but I took Spainair coach from Dulles to Madrid and was really satisfied. I liked it better than Air France to Paris. Maybe it was my imagination, but it seemed to have more legroom than other planes, the food was decent and the servers on the plane were nice.

Sep 7th, 2001, 10:49 AM
lisa

I guess Spanair did alright with your luggage? Our travel agent told us that they didn't have a very good record on getting luggage to destinations...that is if it's a "connecting" flight. I hope she's wrong - we're traveling on Spanair from Paris to Valencia with a connection in Madrid.

Sep 7th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Curt

We tried to take Spanair from Dulles to Madrid; and return on Spanair as well. However, I'm not convinced that Spanair actually has any airplanes that fly. We were flying coach, not business, but had taken some pains with seat assignments so I checked both 72 and 24 hours before departure to make sure that we would be flying on the advertised 767 ER. "Oh yes" I was assured. So imagine my surprise when we arrived at the airport and were told that Spanair's plane had been having mechanical difficulties and had been sitting in Madrid for a week. We ended up on some charter called "Air Comet". Now an Airbus is not a horrible airplane; but it certainly isn't a 767 and this particular configuration didn't even have a first or business class. Needless to say, seat assignments had all been lost. However, we were assured by our Spanair gate agent that our return flight would most certainly be on the promised Spanair 767. And we had no reason to doubt it upon arriving in Madrid (more or less within the customary Spanish "on time" window of an hour late) to see the tarmac filled with Spanair planes. Two weeks later, I confirmed our return 72, 24, and six hours ahead and was assured each time that our Spanair 767 with our confirmed seats was waiting for us. It most certainly was not; although as before many Spanair planes were parked at the airport. Again with the "Air Comet"; this time with a "prima classe" consisting of a dozen coach seats separated from the main cabin by a curtain. I was not amused, but I was certainly not as put out as the couple just ahead of us who had paid for business class seats through United Airlines on their partner, Spanair. At least the return flight had a movie -- something the flight over lacked. Oh, and I must warn you about the food. Typically, food on international flights, even in coach, runs from decent to pretty good; but either Spanair forgot to pay their catering bill or we got the leftovers from the Aeroflot flight the previous Thursday, because I've had better food on Delta out of Atlanta. So Mike, let me know if Spanair business is worth it. Heck, I'd like to know if Spanair actually flies their airplanes or if they just sit on the ground in Madrid looking pretty.

Sep 7th, 2001, 02:52 PM
;-)

Go for it! With the free in flight muggings, you don't have to wait to get to Spain!

Sep 7th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Jean

To Curt, Lisa and all,

I flew Spainair Oct. of last year and as I said I liked it just fine. I flew from Dulles to Madrid, Madrid to Malaga, back to Madrid and then on to Dulles. So I thought my 4 flights were fine. No lost luggage or any complaints. The only thing Ha! - I had a cute stuffed lion keyring on my luggage as an identifier that was not on my luggage when it arrived in Dulles. Maybe someone else thought it was cute too!

Sep 7th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Catherine

We flew Spaniar Dulles to Madrid in coach this summer and were not impressed. The flight over was fair, your standard long coach flight experience, but the seats seemed more cramped and there was definitely less legroom than on the United flight we'd been on from SFO-Dulles.

Getting home, however, was a nightmare. Our Spanair flight took off for Dulles as scheduled, but 20 minutes into the flight they announced there was a broken window in the cockpit and we had to return to Madrid. After flying around for an hour plus, we finally landed and were taken back to the terminal were we were given no information for the next 5 hours. Eventually they took us to a hotel for the night, and said they would figure out overnight if the flight was going to go in the morning or if everyone was going to be rebooked. Long story short, after being given 3 rebooking assignments for flights that had either already departed or had no seats for us, we finally got on a BA flight to Heathrow and connected to a United flight to Dulles. The United flight was great, by far the best long haul coach flight I've experienced. A new 777, individual video screens, really good food, and very friendly service.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to avoid Spanair, especially if you're going to shell out for business/first class. We were not impressed.

Catherine