Spain - Travel from Madrid to Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked train tickets on raileurope and renfe from Madrid to Barcelona, it is shockingly expensive! 110euros?? Is that the norm? Also, there are cheap flights on Air Europa going at 43euros all-inclusive. Should I fly to Barcelona from Madrid then?

Any advice, please? Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
yk

When are you traveling? There are Web fares and Estrella fares for the AVE if they are still available. Web fares are around 52 euros, and Estrella fares vary between 65 and 77 euros.

Train is more convenient, and probably takes less time than flying.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Are you checking the fares here?

https://w1.renfe.es/vol/indexHome.do

If you just check on the schedules page, Madrid-Barcelona, you won't see the discount fares on the AVE .
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Maribel & YK. I just booked my tickets for only 43.80euros! Followed a step-by-step guide someone wrote on tripadvisor.com. I did check the schedules page only and was shocked to see the prices at 110euros.

P.S Maribel, I will be referring to your guide for my Madrid & Barcelona trips.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Hi,

I personally flew from Madrid to Barcelona and the flight cost me 28 euros in total. I flew with Vueling who were quite good.

However, the price of flights have a large dependency on when you book them. For example, you may book 2 months in advance (which is what I did) and get a good price or alternatively book last minute and still get a very good price as a result from cancellations and the airlines trying to fill last minute seats. However, this is difficult to come by so its always best to book in advance.

Seeing as though you are looking to book asap, I think the 43.80 is quite a good offer especially considering the price of the train fare. But first I would recommend to check veuling and also ryanair and jetstar to see if they have any cheaper offers, or perhaps even last minute offers.

all the best.

OHcharlotte

(OH-Barcelona)
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Maribel, I just read your updated Madrid guide. Terrific. I love how you describe what kinds of hotels seem best for what kinds of people. Great way to give recommendations.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks, Julie!

bizarrebeings,
I'm glad you were able to snatch that discounted fare.

We'll be taking the Madrid-Barcelona AVE soon ourselves. We prefer it over flying because the trip is city center to city center, along with our not having to worry about complying with those very stringent luggage restrictions and checked bag fees that the low cost airlines impose, especially ryan air.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Maribel, I agree with you about having a bit more hassle taking a flight, albeit travel is cut in 1/3. I think the train is pretty comfortable too, and the stations are more accessible. Well, this will be my virgin trip to Spain, and I have just booked my accommodations in Madrid and Barcelona - Hostal Alaska and Rambla Gothic Quarters respectively. Hopefully no more dreams about hotels/hostels when I sleep now! Took me about a week to narrow down the possibilities!