Search

Spain to Italy by train

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain to Italy by train

Hi All,

I am in Spain and would like to travel to Italy by train. I'd fly but my tourist visa runs out before Italy. I am planning for two weeks in Italy starting in Tuscany (Florence) and working my way down to Rome and the Amalfi Coast. My question is, what is the best train route from Spain to Italy? I'm finding some trains leaving from Girona but the sites I've found show nothing available. It's quite confusing using Eurotrail site in determining the cheapest and fastest option from one city in Spain to Italy. Time is not an issue for me since I do not have a return flight back to the U.S. yet which means I can be on a train for 20+ hours. What's important to me is traveling on a budget (which is unfortunate because fights are the cheapest). For any of you that have traveled by train from anywhere in Spain to Italy, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice

*Sidenote: I fully understand that overstaying my visa is against the EU regulations so please I am only looking for advice on what's the best route from Spain to Italy by train.

Andrea
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:15 PM

You need to be aware that ordinarily passengers coming by train from France into Italy need to switch trains in Ventimiglia, and the last time I did that (two weeks ago), I noticed that a large number of police are in the station asking travelers to show documents. I also saw police getting on and off trains between Nice and the French border. They mainly seem to ask young people who look like they are from third world countries, although those were only my brief observations.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 02:22 PM

Well, there can be consequences to those violations - like being barred from entering the EU for a good while. Do some more research to determine if the consequences are worth it because you will be busted, in all likelihood, leaving the EU.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 11:49 PM

'I fully understand that overstaying my visa is against the EU regulations so please I am only looking for advice on what's the best route from Spain to Italy by train.'

So you are asking for contributors to be complicit?
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 12:59 AM

My advice is to come back to the US at the end of your visa and then plan another trip to Italy legally. You do realize that If you ever travel back to Europe, you could be scrutinized more because of overstaying dates in passport.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One route involves the periodic night service (Elipsos) which runs between Barcelona and Milan. www.elipsos.com

You can certainly take trains along the Mediterranean coast from Spain all the way to Italy but that would involve various changes along the way.

Here's one of many routes from the German Rail site:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...&rt=1&OK#focus