SPAIN-September of 2012

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SPAIN-September of 2012

Now working on our trip to Spain with friends in September, next year. We only have 15 nights and we will be north of Madrid. So, R/T from NY to Madrid. We will have a car. Between each overnight, we will have a stop or two. Our hotel budget is $200 US per night. Will use Karen Brown, look at Paradors and of course your recommendations. Old towns/cities, architecture, church concerts, fiestas and lastly museums are what interests the group. We like good food, but we don't need michelin suggestions. Just good, local restaurants. Our method is to stay three nights, with places to visit between stops. There is just much to see north of Madrid, so I came up with drawing an oval from Madrid. First west, then north and finally, east. This is now our itinerary. 1. Pick up the car and drive to Salamanca, with a stop in Avila. [3 nights] 2. Drive to Leon. [3 nights] 3. Drive to the small town of Santillana Del Mar [2 nights] If we don't get to Oviedo on a day trip from Leon, we will take the whole day and spend time in Oviedo and a little time in Lastres, before getting to our hotel. 4. Drive to San Sebastian [3 nights] 5. Drive to Burgos [3 nights] and finally a night within an hours drive to the airport for an afternoon flight 6. Segovia [1 night.] This will probably be our route. Will listen to any hotel or restaurants suggestions. Plus any old towns to visit convienent considering our routes itinerary. Thanks Richard P.S. Keep in mind, I am usually good for up to three hours driving after an overnight flight. Avila will be a good break from driving. I think from the airport to Salamanca is about 130/140 miles, so easily doable
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Of course I will also be using www.maribelsguides.com
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadogan, a lesser known series of travel guides, has an excellent, if not stodgy, book for Northern Spain.

Be sure to see Altamira II when visiting Santillana del Mar and there is a very nice parador in that town.

There is also a nice parador in Avila which has direct access to the wall.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Adu; It's always possible we may stay the night in Avila in that Parador. We have been to Avila before, but it was about ten years ago. It could be a good overnight after the night flight. Will also look at the other Parador you suggested. Cadogan guide ordered. Richard
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 05:59 PM
kja

No time in Madrid? I know it isn't everyone's favorite, and you do say that museums aren't that high on your list of priorities....

> drive to Salamanca, with a stop in Avila. [3 nights]

I loved Salamanca, and think it deserves at least 2 full days. It's nice to see someone give it the time it deserves! Avila should make a perfect stop on the way.

It's been far too long since I traveled in Spain for me to have confidence in hotel or restaurant recommendations. I remember a wonderful salmon in cava with white asparagus in Salamanca, delicious beef in Avila, and superb suckling pig in Segovia.

Sorry I can't be more help!
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM

Don't know if you have a specific reason to stay in Burgos 3 nights. I stayed 2 nights and it was more than enough time. I would suggest staying there 2 nights and add one night to San Sebastian.

Also, regarding 2 nights in Santillana... I visited the town while I was staying in Santander. It's ok but not for 2 nights.

Hope you get to Oviedo, its a lovely city.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 02:24 AM

All about going for pintxos in San Sebastián, with suggested routes etc: http://www.todopintxos.com/home/home.php?lang=en

You'll be up for an affordable gourmet experience and lots of fun (each pintxo would be some 2-3€). Also try out some of the places in the Gros district across the city river Urumea. Here you'll find some of the finest and most atmospheric pintxos bars. Bar Bergara is an institution in town. The owner, Patxi Bergrara, started the Basque food revolution back in the 80's with, among others, Juan Mari Arzak, one of the most famous chefs since those days and owner of much and rightfully praised Arzak.

Had the meal of my life in one of the seafood restaurants down in the harbour in close by Getaria. Something like this: http://thepauperedchef.com/2007/12/elkano-in-getar.html

I can also highly recommend San Juan/Donibane for a great seafood lunch in a local atmosphere. Several great waterfront restaurants with bargain offers for the menu del día. I use to take first time visitors to the area here for lunch. Also possible to walk to San Juan/Donibane from San Sebastián/Donostia along the stunning coastline in some two-three hours:
http://www.euroresidentes.com/eurore...s/san-juan.htm
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 02:31 AM

You should also note that Euskal Jaiak, a week long festivities celebrating Basque culture, is going on in San Sebastián in early September. Could be great fun, but be aware: http://www.lacunza.com/events/euskal-jaiak.php

Later in the month is the annual film festival when prices will be higher, and if you plan on visiting at this time you'll have to book hotel way ahead: http://www.sansebastianfestival.com/in/
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

[kja] Not stopping in Madrid as we have been there before. [cruiseluv]For Burgos, we will visit a town/village on the way to Burgos. Then we will spend one full day in the countryside visiting towns/villages. So that will give us 1 1/2 days in Burgos. For Santillana, we will spend the whole day visiting either Ovieto or other places before reaching Santillana. Then the next day in Santillana. But everything is still subjective and open for change. [kimhe] Good suggestions and web sites. Good to know about Euskal jaial. Sounds like fun. You have all been very helpfull. Thanks much. Richard
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM

San Sebastian is worth 4 or 5 nights at least. I also agree with cruiseluv. Everything else looks good. Hopefully Robert will chime in too he knows a lot about that part of the world.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Egbert; As this will be our last trip to Spain, we want to see as much as possible with our 15 nights. We will leave Santillana early and have perhaps 2 1/2 days in San Sebastian. Thanks
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

'kja'; Stu Tower asked me to tell you hotelsandhighways.com in playing in DC on the 30th of this month. They will be at the Mansion on "O" street. We saw them last spring and met Stu's granddaughter. We really enjoyed the band.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
kja

Richard - thanks so much for passing on Stu's message! I'm marking it on my calendar now.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Any more suggestions? Thanks
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:38 PM

If this is to be your last trip to Spain, I certainly would include Santiago de Compostela, if you haven't visited it yet.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bedar; If we had another week, but with only 15 nights we had to make choices.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 04:18 AM

How your schedule fits in Santillana del Mar and leaves out Santiago de Compostela is baffling to me...specially given the "likes" you listed :-?
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Viajero2; I chose a northerly route with our 15 nights. If we were to chose a westerly route with Santiago de Composteia, we would then have to leave out San Sebastion. WE will be driving. No arrangements have been made. I will look at an open jaw, Santiago and Madrid.
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:29 AM

Don't mean to harp on your choices , but I wouldn't stay 2 nights in Santillana. I understand that you're planning to see other things around the town, but still...just wasn't so enamoured of the place and was glad I saw it as a brief day trip from Santander.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -