Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain /Portugal -must dos and must avoids!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 1999, 05:55 PM
jan

We cannot decide between Italy and Spain in 2000. Thanks to this forum I have Italy down to a science, but need help with Spain. <BR>All your suggestions of what are musts to see and musts to avoid in Spain and Portugal will be greatly appreciated.We will have about 3 weeks. I have checked the Spain site but would like further help. Thanks in advance for helping us decide.!!!

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 04:02 AM
Maira

Jan---Couple of questions first... <BR> <BR>Re: Spain/Portugal (S/P) <BR> <BR>- Are you going to S/P for sure or is that what you are trying to decide? <BR> <BR>- What time of year are you going? <BR> <BR>- How much time have you allocated? (is 3 wks. total for the trip?) <BR> <BR>- What are your vacation/sightseeing preferences? Is S/P going to be the relaxing portion? <BR> <BR>- How are you moving around? Train? car? <BR> <BR>There are tons of good ideas already posted; the questions above can even be good exercise to help you decide....

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 05:57 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>If you decide to include Portugal, I'd say "avoid" most of the Algarve, but a "must do" would be the Estoril Coast.

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 06:22 AM
Alice

S/P were a big surprise to me. I really didn't want to go at first, but we were going with others - our son, his wife, her mother, me and my husband, so I was outvoted. Two reasons I was not interested in those two countries: 1) I'd never heard of Portugal as a tourist destination and 2) I've traveled extensively in Mexico and thought Spain would be more of the same. Wrong on both accounts. <BR> <BR>I loved the quaintness of Portugal, but also loved Lisbon and walked all over it late at night feeling quite safe. The beaches were marvelous. Loved Salamanca. <BR> <BR>In Spain my most favorite place of all was a sidewalk cafe in old town. We ate great paella in the plaza at lunchtime, listened to free-lance musicians, drank wine (maybe a little too much), then talked a horse and carriage owner into driving us across town to our hotel. <BR> <BR>Another great experience was in Cordoba where we were surprised upon arriving to discover they were setting up for a fiesta. This was in May and I don't recall what they called the fiesta, but our hotel was in the midst of it and the partying lasted all night which we didn't mind - we joined in until 3 a.m. Although we were warned not to go, or if we did go, not to take our purses or valuables, we went! (I even took my purse!) We were so enchanted with this family-oriented festival with children dancing the flamenco alongside or with the adults. We watched intensely the dance steps and tried to figure out how to know just when to stop dancing and when to start up again, but the secret eluded us, so we contented ourselves with watching. <BR> <BR>In Torremolinas on the Costa del Sol we ate at a restaurant that prepared a huge sea bass encrusted in salt. The waiters made a real production of carrying it out, cracking the thick layer of salt, and removing it before serving it. It was delicious - and not even salty! Also, in our hotel as we sipped Sangria, a troupe of young flamenco dancers came in dancing away for our free entertainment. This was a real bonus. <BR> <BR>What to skip? Perhaps a few of the cathedrals, but they are all so beautiful that I couldn't tell you which ones not to see. Go! Wish I was going back, but I know someday I will. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 07:43 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jan, First you need to narrow your scope. Spain is a big place and is four <BR>different tourist areas by geography. <BR>And, the when question is also critical. <BR>Let me take a wild stab at a potential <BR>gross plan to get started. <BR> <BR>Assuming flying into Lisbon and out of <BR>Madrid---3 weeks---a car for most of the <BR>trip and not during the summer months, <BR>then I would divide my time this way. <BR>A week in Portugal <BR>A week in Andalusia <BR>A week in Granada, Toledo, Madrid <BR> <BR>I can help you to fill in the gaps, but <BR>you need to make some overall planning <BR>decisions first. The above is a good <BR>geographic start, but you are missing <BR>other parts of Spain such as Barcelona, <BR>San Sebastian, and Salamanca that are <BR>less feasible geographically. Spain can <BR>easily take 3 weeks by itself and I have <BR>spent 30 days in Portugal on 2 trips <BR>and still have not done it all. <BR> <BR>Holler if you want more help.

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 11:15 AM
jorge

Hi Jan <BR>First all excuse my english, Iīm from Argentina and speak spanish. <BR>If you go to Portugal donīt miss Sintra (Itīs a very beatiful city near Lisboa) and the Fadoīs nights in Lisboa. <BR>In Spain donīt miss Toledo (near Madrid) and all the Morrish heritage like La Alhambra in Granada or the "pueblos blancos" between Sevilla and the Costa del Sol. If you like the beach, then take some days in Marbella (very expensive) o Torremolinos (normal price). <BR>And if you have more days, cross the sea to Morocco. That would be a very diferent and incredible experience!! <BR>Advice: If you rent a car be carefull in Portugal, they drive very bad!!

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 11:17 AM
Monica Richards

Jan: <BR> <BR>You can check out my detailed travelogue on Spain and Portugal at www.markandmonica.com/travel/iberia.htm. I spent three weeks there in September and liked it a lot, however, if I had to choose between S/P and Italy, not having been to either, I'd choose Italy. The food in Italy is tremendous, and because I'd read about more of the art and architecture throughout my childhood, it was more interesting to me to actually be there. But like I said, I did like Spain and Portugal a lot.